"Do Not Call List" is BACK!!!

Notices

"Do Not Call List" is BACK!!!

Old 09-25-2003, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Do Not Call List" is BACK!!!

House Votes to Reinstate 'Do Not Call' List
2 hours, 42 minutes ago Add Top Stories - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Andy Sullivan

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Congress moved quickly on Thursday to reinstate a popular "do-not-call" telemarketing list that millions had signed up for before it was blocked by a U.S court two days ago.

Reuters Photo

AFP
Slideshow: National 'Do Not Call' List

The House of Representatives voted 412-8 to give the Federal Trade Commission authority to run the national "do not call" registry of phone numbers, which telemarketers would be prohibited to call. The Senate was expected to vote on a nearly identical measure later in the afternoon.

The flurry of activity on Capitol Hill underlined the program's tremendous popularity among voters, who have placed 50 million home and mobile phone numbers on the list since it was launched this summer.

"This Congress has often been called a slow and cumbersome beast, but I think you can see how fast this Congress is prepared to move when 50 million Americans are angry," said bill sponsor Rep. Billy Tauzin in debate on the House floor.

After an Oklahoma City judge ruled late Tuesday that the FTC did not have authority to oversee the list, at least 11 lawmakers introduced bills that would give the FTC the necessary authority.

The Senate will take up a bill sponsored by Democratic Sen. Byron Dorgan (news, bio, voting record) of North Dakota and Republican Sen. John Ensign (news, bio, voting record) of Nevada that is nearly identical to the House bill, an aide to Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist said.

The White House signaled its support as well.

"These calls can be very annoying and intrusive," White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan said.

The FTC asked the court on Wednesday to allow the program to go forward while it appeals the decision.

The Direct Marketing Association, which filed the lawsuit in February, instructed its members to avoid calling those who had signed up for the list.

In debate on the House floor, lawmakers condemned both the Oklahoma judge who issued the ruling and the telemarketers who pester Americans at home with unwanted sales calls.

"Unwanted telemarketing calls are less popular than a skunk at a church picnic, and they are more persistent and obnoxious than athlete's foot," said Rep. John Dingell (news, bio, voting record), the top Democrat on the Energy and Commerce Committee and a co-sponsor of the bill.

Michigan Republican Rep. Fred Upton (news, bio, voting record) brandished Judge Lee West's phone number, while others thanked him for temporarily uniting a Congress that is frequently split along ideological lines.

"I want to thank the judge for making us all love each other," New York Democratic Rep. Eliot Engel (news, bio, voting record) said.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:21 PM
Registered

FINALLY THE GOVERNMENT IS DOING SOMETHING WORTH WHILE, AND QUITE QUICKLY I MUST ADD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-25-2003, 04:04 PM
Registered

Thank God
Old 09-25-2003, 08:09 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not so fast.
Seems a 2nd judge has now ruled the Do Not Call List illegal, right after Congress ruled to reinstate the list.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WoW these Judges are as bad as the Apba world's this year!
Old 09-25-2003, 10:27 PM
Banned

That's the crux of the problem with Federal Judges! They want to make the law instead of interpret it. They overstep their constitutional authority constantly, and have to answer to no one!

Ooh, don't get me started on this.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

U.S. District Judge Edward W. Nottingham is the idiot this time. I bet he got some free carpet cleaning and calling cards

Roby
Old 09-26-2003, 05:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trust me I bet they were paid off by the co's millions of dollars would be lost if eveyone was on a Do NOt Call List
Old 09-26-2003, 06:41 AM
Banned

It's gone again!
Old 09-26-2003, 07:20 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

50 Million voters can't be wrong!

Who are these 8 political kamikazes? Idiots for sure.

Quick Reply: "Do Not Call List" is BACK!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.