Notices

OT - Anyone w/ Jeeps?

Old 09-26-2003, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question OT - Anyone w/ Jeeps?

Well, I got a wild hair last night and went and bought another Jeep (Wrangler.) Picking it up next week. I've had a couple of them before..a few CJ-7s, a YJ Wrangler with the old carbed 6, and my wife had a TJ with the 4 cyl. This will be my first TJ with the 4 liter. Anything to watch out for? It's used, but it's an '01 with only 15,000 miles. Unfortunately, the 3/36 factory warranty expired 4 days ago.
Anyone know of something I should look out for when I go to pick it up?
Old 09-26-2003, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jeepèr,

I have had several jeep`s too.

At the moment I have a Jeep CJ-7, I have swapped out the old and tired 258 and installed a v8 lt-1 salvaged from a 1994 corvette. put on a lift kit and airlockers in both axles.

I have had some jeep wranglers as well.

If the jeep you are picking up is original then there is not mush to look for, but if the jeep is modified with a lift kit and larger wheels, look out for noise in the rear axle. And vibration from the rear drive shaft.

If you are looking for aftermarked parts for your Jeep, I can recomend.

www.4wd.com

Those guys are the one and only company in the US I are buying parts from due to their extrem good servise and fast delevery.

also check their forum site..

here is some other links as well.

www.offroad.com
www.jpmagazine.com
www.4wdandsportutility.com
www.jeepclubnorway.org

Best regards a fellow Jeep`er

Kjetil Johansen
Jeepclubnorway member
Old 09-26-2003, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks cobra - no lift, or any aftermarket items at all. I'd love to do a small lift with 33's, but two people tell me not to. The first is my wife, the second is the little voice in my head that reminds me of all the lifted trucks I've had before, and the problems that came with all of them.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:03 PM
Registered

Ive always had Jeeps. Now I have a 1985 CJ-7 w/258 Auto Trans. The whole thing is stock. I wouldnt buy one that is lifted and tricked out. You never know who did the work or how they drove it after that. I am actually selling it so I can move on to the next prodject
Old 09-26-2003, 10:04 PM
Registered

If the Jeep is all original, whenyou buy it is a good thing.

If you want a little better ride and increase the comfort in your jeep, buy lift kit called old man emu. It is australian made, and do not lift the jeep up so much, but the comfort is not to belive with this kit.

put on some 31" wheels so the jeep dont look so tame.

go out and have some fun...
Attached Thumbnails OT - Anyone w/ Jeeps?-jeeprubi.jpg  
Old 09-26-2003, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The new toy, and yes, if you look very closely, that is a big chrome pig screwed to the hood. Don't ask..the holes are being filled and painted prior to me picking it up. Oh yeah - I'm having the tires flipped around too. I can't stand white-lettered tires...pet peeve of mine.
Attached Thumbnails OT - Anyone w/ Jeeps?-jeep.jpg  
Old 09-27-2003, 07:32 AM
Registered

I have a 99 Wrangler. I would not buy another. I hope you didn't get auto trans with it.
Attached Thumbnails OT - Anyone w/ Jeeps?-jeep1.jpg  
Old 09-27-2003, 10:21 AM

We have had 3 Jeeps a 1997 Wrangler a 2000 Cherokee, that my wife hated! and a 2003 Wrangler X looks like your red one loaded.
The only thing I dont like about them the can slide out really easy on Ice.
Other the that the wranglers are a lot of fun!
We never had an issue with any of them except they like to eat up tires.
Best of luck with your new Jeep.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:30 AM
Registered

Late model Wranglers are very reliable mechanically. There have been some issues with trim and or interior pieces coming lose occassionally. Those problems seem to be rather random. Overall, the underpinnings and the major mechanicals (engine, transmission, 4 wheel drive system, electrical system, etc.) seem to holding up well and are reputed very reliable. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Year '00 and earlier versions had some problems with electrical systems, lights and with brake failures. The problems were reportedly similar to those on the Grand Cherokees but by '01 those problems were reputedly fixed.

Last edited by Miller; 09-27-2003 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:38 AM
Registered

Check out the following link:

http://www.jdpower.com/cc/auto/jdpa_...rdsResults.jsp

You'll notice that mechanical quality and interior quality (a measure of initial problems) ratings are not great, but mechanical reliability and interior reliability (measures problems over 1-3 years versus all other vehicles) is the highest you can get. So, you can interpret the results to say that initially there were a few trips back to the dealer to fix some issues, but that once fixed the Jeeps have proven to be extremely reliable.

Quick Reply: OT - Anyone w/ Jeeps?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.