Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Texas Lakes (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/60575-texas-lakes.html)

robyw1 10-03-2003 09:08 AM

Texas Lakes

Which is the best Texas Lake? I have only been to Lake Conroe, Clear Lake and Lake Travis. Which do you think are the best and please coment on the one you have been to.

Thanks
Roby

Dueclaws 10-03-2003 10:19 AM

Clear Lake is best because of its proximity to Galveston Bay, Intracoastal canal, and the Gulf of Mexico. If you like to run long distances this is the place.

Texoma would be my second choice. The problem with most of the inland lakes is that they're too crowded.

Dueclaws 10-03-2003 10:31 AM

PS-
I used to live on Lake Ray Hubbard. It takes about 10 minutes to cross the lake at 90 mph. It can take longer if you hit one of the hundreds of submerged trees. Leave for the fishermen and small sail boats IMHO!

Lewisville is dangerously crowded!

Clay Washington 10-03-2003 10:36 AM

Best Lakes

IMHO, the three best lakes in Texas are:

#1 - Lake Travis - This has got to be one of the best lakes in the country. The lake is huge (60+ miles long), water is clear, the boats are beautiful, the women are even more beautiful (and often topless), it has the ONLY "clothing optional" public park in Texas (Hippie Hollow), and it has an awesome party cove (Devil's Cove)! :D

#2 - Lake Texoma - Located on the Texas/Oklahoma border, this is the weekend getaway for most of Dallas/Fort Worth. It is 89,000 acres in size and has a huge party every weekend at the "sand islands" (Can't Weight).

#3 - Possum Kingdom - PK is another long, clear lake and there is always a party at Hell's Gate

Turbojack 10-03-2003 04:12 PM

Conroe - Rougher than the ocean on weekends because of the bulkheads
Livingston - You will have either hole in bottom of boat or will be missing a outdrive if you boat there often
Clear Lake - Saltwater
Travis- See Clay's responce from above.
Austin - great water ski or wakeboard lake when not over crowed. Water is cold in middle of summer. 58-62 degree water by mansfield dam when air temps are in 100's feel good.
Belton- Good lake if you can keep all of the bass boats that think they are fast from bothering you.
Sommerville- small muddy lake, close to my house that has decent camping
Have not been to any of the Dallas lakes in the last 10+ years so do not remember much about them.

kyle55 10-03-2003 09:36 PM

Lake Travis is as good as it gets. Clear Lake(home for my boat) is cool because there is pretty much no limit to its size. Conroe is way rough and pretty crowded, but if you know where to hide its pretty cool. The san jacinto river is a cool place to hang, B.S. and drink lots a cold beer.

robyw1 10-03-2003 10:48 PM

Okay I have had my 22' Scarab in Lake Conroe and yes it is rough. However I'm able to push it to 45 before getting air. Now the statement about it being rougher than the ocean? Is that really true? I have not gone out into Galveston Bay past the boardwalk. Are you guys saying that the ride out there would be better than Conroe? I asked this because I was also told by someone here that Lake Conroe was the roughest lake in Texas. However I have been out on Lake Ponchatrain in LA and I thought that was like Conroe.

Keep the replys coming as this is very interesting.
Roby

HOUSTONPROP 10-03-2003 11:24 PM

Lake Conroe/bulk heads.make it rough

it is rougher than any lake I have ever been on,

Lake Houston is full of stumps and mud

summerville is a resovoir lake small and up and down water levels.

lewisville lake, looks pretty nice ,but have never tried it.

and Lake Travis is a BLAST. but, rocky bottom:D ;) and has tan bare bottoms:D

and many other to be found.

clear lake is always packed.

fine jade 10-04-2003 09:12 AM

#1 travis by far. clear water,carlos and charlies, close to austin, texas coolest city.
#2 texoma, great party lake. big with alot of cool people from dallas and oklahoma make it there weekend homes.
#3 clear lake, if you have a big boat and want to stretch it out or go up and down texas coast. other than that it is ugly.
#4 conroe, great party lake but yes it does get rough and is small.

texas scarab 10-04-2003 09:57 AM

1. Clear Lake because you can hit the bay and have an excellent ride to Gulf of Mexico. 2. Lake Travis good party place but to crowded. Haven't tried Texoma but would like to someday.