Notices

2 or 3 axile trailer?

Old 10-04-2003, 11:10 PM
Steve_H

Default 2 or 3 axile trailer?

i may be the owner of a new to me boat currently located in florida.
boat does not come with a trailer so i plan on having one built.
cuda gave me a source for a manufacturer in florida that makes a nice trailer at an affordable price.

http://www.slideon.com/index.html

they said the price is basically the same for a 2 or a 3 axile.
so other then the advantage of having 2 good tires per side in the event of a flat what if any are the advantages of buying a 3 axile trailer?

thanks guys..........again ,
Steve

Old 10-04-2003, 11:16 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude got nice trailor for sale how long is your boat this is a target 4 wheel brakes twin axile 10000 lb trailor 28-30 ft perfect could do 32 if you had ta cheep[ 1000 $ in fla new tires
Old 10-04-2003, 11:23 PM
Steve_H

28 ft apache brave around 7000 lbs

B-Stubb , got any pics?

Old 10-04-2003, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

2 axle trailer is easier to move around. 3 axles makes the tires scrub when you turn tightly. If you manuever your loaded trailer into a tight turn to store it for any length of time, you must it back and forth a couple of times to get the twist out of the sidewalls of the tires.

If height is an issue, a 3 axle can be built to haul the same load with smaller tires. This lets you get the boat a little lower (my boat sits less than an inch above the fenders as I requested).

Then there's the issue of brakes. I prefer to have one axle with NO brakes cause it will reduce the chances of a jackknife on a slick downhill panic stop. BUT I prefer to have brakes on MORE than a single axle. This means a triple for me.

Also, if you lose a tire on a triple, you can carefully drive to a safe place to change it. On a double, you'd best get it yanked to the shoulder RIGHT NOW.

It's also easier to "self jack" a triple to change the tire. I keep 2 stacks of 2x4's to do double duty as chocks AND jacks. The stacks each have 3 2x4's nailed together on a stagger. I can put one in front of the tire and drive on it until 2 tires are on it - this lets me change #3. If the bad tire is in the middle, I still pull 2 tires on stack #1, then put stach #2 behind the rear tire and pull back far enough for the middle tire to be hanging off the ground.

There's all the info I have.

Whatever decision you make will be ok.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:04 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally posted by mcollinstn
2 axle trailer is easier to move around. 3 axles makes the tires scrub when you turn tightly. If you manuever your loaded trailer into a tight turn to store it for any length of time, you must it back and forth a couple of times to get the twist out of the sidewalls of the tires.
I agree...I had a triple axle for my 28' Nordic, it was overkill and hard to maneuver in tight areas. However, it tracked VERY well and had great road manners. I pulled it with a F350PSD and with that trailer, it didn't matter how bad the highway was, it always behaved well. It's just the tight areas that make them difficult. I can't believe I didn't pop some of those tires off the rims in tight turns If you do a lot of highway driving, you might consider one, but if I had it to do over again, I'd just get a well designed tandem since I don't do much highway pulling, mostly pull it back to the house from the marina to work on it.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

TRIPLE !!!!! I would rather spend a little more time "backing & jacking" in tight spots than be blown off the highway by Semis !!!!! Trust me....A triple will never sway !! Oh....Disc brakes on all 3 ..I like to stop also.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:35 AM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Look at total weight of boat loaded with fuel and all the other stuff and the trailer versus load capacity of tires
This will ussually dictate number of axles
also on a torsion axel tailer you can usually drive missing a tire but this is not the case on a leef spring trailer
Old 10-05-2003, 08:10 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Triple axle!!! Call me tommorrow and tell me about what you're getting!!

Craig
Old 10-05-2003, 08:15 AM
Steve_H

this
Attached Thumbnails 2 or 3 axile trailer?-28apache.jpg  

Old 10-05-2003, 08:54 AM
Registered

Definitely torsion axes, forget leaf springs. They are a bad accident waiting to happen, I KNOW. Personally I prefer a triple because of the stablility factor. First time a big older flat nosed semi goes by you, you'll understand why. If you don't trailer on Interstates, or whatever where that might not be an issue, a tandem would work great. However, if you're trailering on Interstates where you will be passed by Big Rigs, you will really appreciate the stability over a tandem. There is all the difference in the world between the too. I've trailered both tanden/triple from New England to Florida several times, and unless someone paid me well, I will not do another tandem. I have a tandem blow four feet sidesways by a semi and that is nervewracking. If you overcompensate you're in more trouble. Go with 3 if you do highway driving.

Quick Reply: 2 or 3 axile trailer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.