Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Question about Winterizing >

Question about Winterizing

Notices

Question about Winterizing

Old 10-05-2003, 07:49 PM
OG Outlaw 24

Question Question about Winterizing

I took my outlaw to the Marina to be winterized on saturday. The guy did 3 Things:

1) He started the motor on the hose (ears) and let it run for about 10 minutes.

2) He then switched ears to some that were hooked up to a bilge pump submerged in a horse trough full of -100 degree antifreeze (exposed to the elements and all the water that was coming out of my exhaust). He started it up and let it run for about 3 - 4 minutes.

3) He dumps a unmeasured amount of generic stabil (says mercury put out a memo saying do not use stabil brand) and says I am good to go.

Is this a complete job??? What else do I need to do. This is a Tyler Crockett motor that I have alot of money into, I do not want to take any chances

How much would you pay for the above services???

OG
Attached Thumbnails Question about Winterizing-outlaw.jpg  

Old 10-05-2003, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would pull the plugs and spray some FOGING agent in each cylinder and put the plugs back in tight. Rag's
Old 10-05-2003, 08:05 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drain a little of the antifreeze from your block and test it to see if the freeze protection is adequate. You can buy a tester at NAPA or most auto parts stores. Check out this thread:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...threadid=60302
Its a very complete list, I recommend following it.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:13 PM
OG Outlaw 24

Rags

I have aluminum heads so I am always paranoid about messing with the plugs

OG

Old 10-05-2003, 09:18 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

guess changing the oil, plugs filters and pulling the drive to grease and check alignement is not important to this marina
I feel you should post WHAT marina it is so no one else will be shafted..

Follow the list, check everything twice and do it yourself.
If you paid mor then 100 bucks for that you got ripped IMHO.

He only used at best 40 bucks you price of antifreeze and for 15 min of work at 80 bucks/hour gave him a profit margin of over 40 bucks.
That forty is not worth the extras that you will have to have done agian.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:41 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

This is what I do:

1. Add name brand of fuel stabilizer to at least 3/4 tank of fresh fuel Run engine till oil temp is above 170 degrees(approx) and of course on muffs or better yet take it out for a run, this gets the drive oil nice and heated up.

2. Drain the engine crankcase and drive unit of oils and replace oil filter and fuel seperator. Refill both units with approved fluids I use nothing but Mercruiser 25w40 motor oil and hi perf gear oil for the drive.

3. My brother in law made up a 5 gallon bucket with a spigot in the side at the bottom for the hose and muffs to attach to. I take out the thermostat and drain the block of any water. Fill the bucket with RV antifreeze and have a few ready to top off the bucket. Fire up the engine with the muffs hooked up to the bucket full of A/Freeze, run until you put at least 8 gallons in the bucket and you can see Antifreeze coming out of the exhaust. Shut it off check all the fluid levels and top off if needed.

4. Loosen all drive belts to lessen side loading of any accesories.

5. Check bolt torque on all drive attaching nuts and gimbal ring clamp bolts(50 ft. lbs.)

6. Spray engine down with anti corrosive spray

7. Wash and wax boat. Put no-damps throughout interior and cockpit. Install cover

8. Walk to the starboard side and give the hull a big hug and walk away .....Don't Look Back!!! Spring will be here soon enough!!!!
Old 10-06-2003, 07:05 AM
rv
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hopefully #3 in your list was done before #1. If it wasn't the stablizer didn't reach your fuel system of the engine and isn't doing any good.

Rick
Old 10-08-2003, 11:45 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Read all of #1......Add stabilizer and run engine till warm ....Common sense would have you hook up the hose or take it for a ride( which is what I did yesterday), with a full tank of treated fuel.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't want to pull the plugs to lube the cylinders, the next best thing is to fog the engine while running.

Start the and blast fogging oil down the carb or TB while trying to keep the engine running. Once it dies from the oil, leave it down and consider it lubed.

Now you just need to get the antifreeze in or make sure all of the water is out!
Old 10-08-2003, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

read this thread from the tech forum http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...threadid=60302