Carrier Corp to move out of Syr.,NY by 2q '04 >

Carrier Corp to move out of Syr.,NY by 2q '04

Notices

Carrier Corp to move out of Syr.,NY by 2q '04

Old 10-06-2003, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Carrier Corp to move out of Syr.,NY by 2q '04

Well it's official they announced Carrier corp will be moving manufacturing out of Syracuse, NY by 2nd quarter 2004. About 1600job going over seas
Old 10-06-2003, 10:15 AM
Registered

That sucks 1600 more jobs going oversees. We designed and built some machining fixtures for them a few years ago. I guess that will be the last time.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:24 AM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Carrier announces plans to shut down production line

October 06, 2003

RONALD AGRELLA
SYRACUSE.COM STAFF

More than 1,200 local jobs may be eliminated in the wake of a Carrier Corporation announcement that the company will cease manufacturing in Syracuse, according to published reports.

The company will continue to keep their research and development center, however. The company says it may expand the division.

The total layoffs in the company's refrigeration and compressor operations is expected at 1,200 of 2,800 positions. The company reports that it has no plans, at this point, to eliminate hundreds of other warehouse, office, engineering and research jobs.

Carrier is owned by United Technologies, which is a conglomerate. It makes Carrier heating and cooling products, Otis elevators, Sikorsky helicopters, Pratt & Whitney aircraft engines and Chubb security systems. About $4.5 billion of its annual revenues of $28.2 billion comes from federal contracts. The government represents 16 percent of the conglomerate's business.

The company's Carrier plant in DeWitt employs 2,700 workers.

In April, Carrier announced a review of its 84 manufacturing plants, including the DeWitt operations. That review is continuing, said Jon Shaw, speaking for the company on Wednesday.

The company has said it wants to buy components rather than make them, and to move manufacturing to countries where the cost of production is lower. Rumors circulating around the community say Carrier plans to move all or part of its operations out of DeWitt.

New York's leaders have spoken separately with David throughout the spring and summer to influence the company to keep the DeWitt operations.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More jobs going overseas. That sucks!!!

They want to "outsource" the component manufacturing and just assemble?
Good luck.
My company is trying to do the same. So far the quality of the parts is bad and we've had a couple of vendors go out of business.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:13 AM
Registered

Having tried to keep a small marine business running here in NYS on and off for the last 40 yrs. I got to say that this is just NOT the place you want to operate a LIGIT. business. The state is way too good at squeezing every last penny from the honest worker and businessman in order to make the freeloaders happy and keep their votes since they seem to be the majority here. I love our place on the lake here but I know that I just couldn't keep a business going profitably and I'm not sure just how much longer I'll be able to hang in here what with taxes & energy going up 15-20% every year. (After all, someones got to make up for all the freeloader payments that Carrier and everyone else that got out isn't making any more.) --- Guess it's time to look for some nice, affordable waterfront where there's more than 6 wks. of summer. Anyone looking for a damn good but old marine MECHANIC (not tech) for part time work someplace like that? --- Jer
Old 10-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The issue is not the cheap labor it is insurance costs. My Fiance works for Mytec Medical Devises (division of Johnson and Johnson. The are moving their operations to Switzerland. The labor costs there are much higher but the insurance is MUCH lower. I can not afford to hire any employees due to the high cost of liability and workmans comp. What kind of a system do we have now in this country that insurance cmpanies are driving businesses out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jon
Old 10-06-2003, 11:50 AM
Registered

This news does not suprise me. I am not sure about the rest of the country but in this area (SW Florida), Carrier has a very tiny marketshare. The local reps are not worth dealing with and the factory supported service is non-existent. Trane and York are the dominating players in the commercial HVAC arena and Carrier has to make moves like this to try and keep up. It is a shame that 1600 hard working americans are going to lose their jobs because of this.

Mike
Old 10-06-2003, 12:39 PM
Registered

This is the explantion I got:
Carrier average labor costs
US:$35+/hr benefits, burden, and all
Mexico: $4-6/hr
China: $2-4/hr
yes they do include shipping costs

I've got other fires in the pot, but I 've got a lot of good friends here that are going to be F@&%'d.

It just sucks!
Old 10-06-2003, 03:10 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 852 Likes on 312 Posts

This is the future trend of US Business. My clients are Fortune 500 corporations and I see this all the time. Does anybody remember Ross Perot? Everybody thought he was a quack when he was squaking about NAFTA...well welcome to the new world economy This economy is going nowhere, or overseas I should say. There is plenty of labor overseas to handle all of America's business, do our politicians care
Old 10-06-2003, 07:06 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

As a former Carrier/UTC employee I am not surprised. Current Carrier leadership is suspect, and has been suspect. This "tightening the belt" BS started over three years ago with this regime.

Carrier had gotten out of large ton chilling equipment, new manufacture which is a specialized market, but I looked like a good point of position for them

What a f'ing disgrace, Carrier is the father of portable airconditioning. I imagine Mr. Carrier is rolling over in his grave. Looks like the city of Syracuse will have some good real estate deals, unfortunately. What a disgrace!

Quick Reply: Carrier Corp to move out of Syr.,NY by 2q '04

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.