Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Forget the boats and racing...anyone ride motocross/dirt???!! >

Forget the boats and racing...anyone ride motocross/dirt???!!

Notices

Forget the boats and racing...anyone ride motocross/dirt???!!

Old 10-09-2003, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I grew up on dirtbikes and snowmobiles- 1st addiction (Even before boating) is rockcrawling, multi event 4x4 racing. Here's a shot after I choked on obstacle 8 at the world Supercrawl
Attached Thumbnails Forget the boats and racing...anyone ride motocross/dirt???!!-sc03.jpg  
Old 10-09-2003, 08:13 AM
Registered

Originally posted by boatfreak28
Here's one for you guys. Has anyone ever heard of the Blackwater 100? How about Bob Sloan? The Blackwater 100 was called America's Toughest Race. It was run in Davis, West Virgina until the tree huggers shut it down. I ran in it twice with a best finish of fifth overall. Thats not a bad finish out of three or four hunderd. Bob Sloan was my best friend and racing partner for several years in the mid and late 80s. He was about as good as they get on a bike or quad. He lost his life racing while he was at the top. They named the Ironman race in the GNCC after him. It is coming up here in Indiana in a few weeks.
I remember Bob Sloan very well, met him and his family a few times, they don't get much better...
Old 10-09-2003, 08:24 AM
Registered

The Blackwater 100! WOW! Memories! Did you make it up that steep slick hill without any help? Or were you one of the guys that went as fast as possible and let the bike go up on its own? Never went nor rode there, but always loved watching it on TV. Larry Maiers always seemed to enjoy covering it on MotoWorld.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:06 AM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Cattitude, do you know Jeff Rector?? He is a real good friend of mine and is ADDICTED to rockcrawling just as you are.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:11 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Neverfastenuf
Cattitude, do you know Jeff Rector?? He is a real good friend of mine and is ADDICTED to rockcrawling just as you are.
Yea- Red Jeep (mostly Jeep anyway) from your area- owns a bike/atv shop doesn't he? Father and son team? Good people. I Passed thru GJ on my way to the SC, was remembering what we discussed before- Boating, snowmobiling and Rockcrawling all nearby- I'm Jealous man
Old 10-09-2003, 09:25 AM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Cattitude, yes Jeff has a Yamaha, Suzuki, Polaris dealership. He used to sled a bunch until the CRAWLING addiction. Now we rarely see him on the hill. We do have the access to a great deal of diversified terrain. It is off-road heaven.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:59 AM
Jan
Member "69" Charter #70
Charter Member

I started racing in 1973 at the age of 9, raced a XR75, TM100 and a YZ80. Raced till I was 14 , after broken back mom said "no more". Started riding enduros with dad on an IT175. have not ridden a dirt bike for a couple of years. I have a XR250 in pieces in the garage, but compared to the bikes out now it is very antiquated. Would love a new YZ250F, a four stroke dirt bike that turns 10K+ is just cool.

I do ride my 2002 Victory V92C alot but that is not like riding in the dirt!

Jan

Last edited by Jan; 10-09-2003 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:42 AM
Registered

hey Joe, I cant make it anytime soon, but I gotta get out soon!
Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2003, 11:04 AM
Registered

Indoor flat track in janurary -5 outside.

First place Quad open..
Attached Thumbnails Forget the boats and racing...anyone ride motocross/dirt???!!-quad2.jpg  
Old 10-09-2003, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I rode dirt bikes and snowmobiles as a litle kid and then got into racing the 3 and 4 wheelers when they became popular. After that I got back into racing motocross and snowmobiles. I raced an RM250. I built a track on an 8 acre field on my property where my buddies and I could practice. I raced in the arena cross here at the Pepsi arena and at a few local tracks (Broome/Binghamton). I remember sitting and having a drink on the Suzuki Race rig with Jeremy McGrath, Mike LaRacco and Greg Albertien (Sp). They were cool and the truck inside had leather couches and the whole works (even the women). I also then got into road bikes. I had a Ninja ZX9R which was fun. I have since stop running the bikes, but still am heavily into the sleds and 4 whelers. I am thinking of getting back into running some enduro's. But my age is starting to make the recovery time much slower.

Quick Reply: Forget the boats and racing...anyone ride motocross/dirt???!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.