Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Wisconsin DNR expands their noise regs (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/61078-wisconsin-dnr-expands-their-noise-regs.html)

Cord 10-09-2003 05:15 PM

Wisconsin DNR expands their noise regs

Live in Wisconsin? Hate the DNR? Well, here is another reason to hate them.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/o...sp?source=tmj4

Roger 1 10-09-2003 05:22 PM

Sounds like there will be a market for early chassis.

TeamSonic42 10-10-2003 08:06 AM

Whats the difference between ( noise wise ) one of the Snow mobile guy's & the guy who has the loud Harley ?

The noise thing is getting rediculous everywhere. You would think that were millions of loud, cars, boats, cycles, etc all running by one place at the same time, for all the hooplaa made about loud exhausts. Its not that bad ! The noise lasts for a few seconds, thens its gone. Its not like someone is running by you at 3:00am and waking everyone up.

This is getting rediculous !!! The manfacturers need to get togather and put up some deffensive actions to try to get rid of/limit these noise law things. We all need to take some action too, or our Go Fast Boats will be effected also.Many area's/states already enforce the noise law. The manfacturers of our toys will be impacted also, by noise restrictions. I dont know about everyone, but part of enjoying my boat is the exhaust tone. I dont want to run 50+ mph in silence....We need to stick togather on this......

Cord 10-10-2003 09:10 AM

The fact that the Harley is on the road and isn't under the control of the DNR. Our go-fasts have been affected already. The db limit is 86db. That is really tough to make-even with mufflers. And state law says that you cannot have operable mufflers so silent choice is illegal.

Pointing fingers at the Harleys is not the solution. It still does not address the law.

CigDaze 10-10-2003 09:22 AM

"The Fine: 138.20"
Hmmm...Not 125.00, not 130.00, not 150.00.

Where the hell did they get that figure? Sounds to me like they're trying to fill a hole in the budget; so they figure they can snag XXX number of snowmobilers in a season, hence the magic number, 138.20.

Doesn't seem right. :mad:

Wally 10-10-2003 09:29 AM

Certain parts fo WI have allready had these snowmobile noise limits for a while. Up in St. Germain where we used to go riding they used to have a DNR guy stationed at a cross roads and he would stop any sled that to him sounded a bit too loud. He would make them lift the hood and if he saw any aftermarket exhaust on the sled it was an automatic $75 ticket!!! :mad: I'm sure it didnt last long cause i bet alot of people faught the tickets but for those who drive 6+ hours like me it just wasnt worth the headaches and just paid the tickets. Lucky for me i gutted my stock exhaust so it looked stock and never got any tickets! :D But to be honest my gutted exhaust was not obnoxus at all.....at idle it was just slightly louder then stock and even during WOT runs it wasnt as bad as some of these guys that run these beasts that can rattle the fillings in your teeth loose! :eek:

ofshore 10-10-2003 09:59 AM

Well I guess I won't be crossing over to Wisconsin from the UP that would have to hurt any businesses near the border. I would think the revenue generated from snowmobilers would far outweigh any revenue gained from writing the tickets. The only difference is now the money goes to the businesses, gas stations, bars and restaurants and if that law goes into effect the money will go to the DNR.

Cord 10-10-2003 10:01 AM

ofshore-apparently that is not something that they care about. There have been quotes from DNR officers about trying to get the high performance boats off the water. Presumably the same approach is being used for the snowmobiles too.

SpectreBoy 10-10-2003 11:10 AM

If you read the article it said something to the effect that they could predict what noise level it would be at when at WOT, from testing it at idle,,,,,,,,,,so if I buy a Rice Bike that will run 180 mph is the state going to give me a speeding ticket because it will run that fast?

ofshore 10-10-2003 11:19 AM

unfortunately that's what it looks like and i don't think you could put any aftermarket pipe on a 2-stroke sled and have it under 78 db. I could be wrong maybe they have good enough silencers to do the job who knows. Even if they did I'm not going to spend a whole bunch of money on pipes to put on a muffler that would take away from it's performance which i'm sure they will.