Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Does anyone own an inboard ski boat? >

Does anyone own an inboard ski boat?

Notices

Does anyone own an inboard ski boat?

Old 10-10-2003, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone own an inboard ski boat?

I used to own a Mastercraft about 7 years ago. I would love to have that boat again, now that my 10 year old is interested in skiing.That boat could handle tight turns better than any boat out there. I'm just not ready to give up the 30 foot Formula, though.

Does anyone own a ski boat AND a performance boat? I wish that I could afford both, but that's not happening.

BTW, how fast would a whipplecharged Mastercraft run?

toolman
Old 10-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Registered

I owned a correct craft Ski Tique for 13 years, that was the best boat I ever owned. I got it when I was 13 years old. Hour meter broke at 1800 hours and we ran it years after that.

Actually the correct crafts had a hull speed of around 50MPH give or take, so with them, much more power didn't help. My boat was a tad faser than a Barefoot Nautique with a 454.

A friend of mine has a used Ski Supreme for sale (Mastercraft hulls). I think it as an 89 model. Looks good. Also has an extended Pylon. I think he was asking around $6,500. If your interested let me know.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 98 ProStar and they are right they only go as fast as they go 45-50 mph dpending on exact hull desine. Nothing better then a good Bat Turn for the unexpecting in the back seat rag's
Old 10-10-2003, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 137 Likes on 83 Posts

Had a '67 Correct Craft Barracuda. Same hull as the early Nautique.

We sold a completely intact (but brown metalflake) 1987 Mastercraft for $4500 this year at the lot.

Get yourself one of those and a tall pylon with a bow cable. Might want to add ballast bags if you plan to board with it. Will be a good cheap option.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:42 PM
Registered

That's exactly what I'm looking to do now. We spend our weekends on Lake St. Clair on the 336 but live in an area with smaller inland lakes about 45 miles away. I'm really looking for something small to pull the kids skiing maybe once or twice a week on weekday evenings. It's gotta be cheap though, looking to spend under 2-3k or so(but even less would be better.) One thing I'm considering is a 16' jet boat with a 175 hp jet. Has anyone skied behind something like that and if so, how was it. Ideally I hope to find a well used but structurally sound inboard, but may resort to something like a jetboat or an older OB.

Anybody have any experience with skiing behind a jet?
How about an early 80's 18' Baja with 140 hp OB?
Old 10-11-2003, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 137 Likes on 83 Posts

Smaller jets will spray in the face of a skiier if you go on the slow end of ski speed. At 30+ they're okay. Not a lot of directional stability if they are slaloming behind it.

Should actually pull a skier up fairly well. The "character" of the wake behind a 15-16' jet is not optimal, but they're light enough that there's just not that much wake anyhow.

A cheap 15' bassboat with a 115 and a 15 pitch prop, though, will pull like a bandit. Skiied MANY a mile behind one.
Old 10-11-2003, 07:21 AM
Registered

Default Jets

A 'real' jetboat (Big block / Berkeley) will pull your arms off. The grown up PWC's don't make power until you wind 'em up some.
Old 10-11-2003, 07:26 AM
Registered

We have a 1988 Supra Sun Sport Skier with a 351 /240 hp as well as the Formula we recently purchased.

I love the Supra, the wake table on it is great for slalom, trick and we have even barefooted with it. I had skied behind some TS6 Supras in tournaments and loved the wake table on them as well.

Our kids are really getting into skiing and wakeboarding now too and we are also teaching our 12 year old how to drive the boat (while im on board of course) Its an easy boat to drive.

Having another boat to take out to the big water and using the Supra for skiing only will make it last alot longer.

Im smiling about the Bat Turns..........My kids love them.
Old 10-11-2003, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw this one. its a mastercraft inboard with a cuddy. check it out. www.skidock.com then go to used boats

my brother looked at but decided on a full ski boat.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Another good boat for skiing is a small boston whaler or other center console boat. I used to ski behind one before hooking up with my buddy who had a Ski Nautique and his own slalom course. Man, to be young again!

I used to own a Wahoo 21 Offshore with a Yamaha 225. Versitile and FUN to drive. Good for skiing, wake boarding, and any other water sports you desire. And room for a ton of people. That was one of my favorite boats.

Quick Reply: Does anyone own an inboard ski boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.