Notices

OT: Back Surgery

Old 10-14-2003, 02:51 PM
TRG Ange

David, have you tried a chiropractor? I know lots of people think they are quacks, but without mine I would never sleep. I have and S curve in my spine and two vertebrae rub together in the lower curve and pinch on nerves. I also have a degenerating disc that cropped up as a problem several years ago.

I would pay my chiropractor anything he asked because the lack of pain is worth it. I also have a kneecap out of place and he even manages to keep the pain from that gone. I have been to bad chiros but this one is my best friend! I still do anything I want and just go for regular adjustments. Maybe that's an option for you.

Old 10-14-2003, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask for a copy of your MRI when you have it taken. Send a copy up to Otto or some other doctors. When I was in physical there was another guy that had a disk replacement, from a donor, he was up and round within two days of surgery. Based on the description of my pain my doc had me go for an MRI even before he saw me. He didn't even bother with an X-ray. I believe the replacement was done at Robert Wood Johnson here in NJ. Maybe Otto can get you more info on it. My doc also told me if I keep going the way I have been that I'll be back for fusion or replacement. At least I have time on my side since every year the procedures get better. He wasn't happy when I got back into the boat.

Find a good doctor no matter where you have to go. Check their background and find the best.
For example here is my surgeon's. He is the chief of Spinal Surgery at Jersey Shore Medical Center, Neptune, NJ. His expertise includes degenerative and congential disorders of the spine, microsurgery, scoliosis, spinal trauma, and reconstructive surgery. Dr. Lospinuso completed two prestigious fellowships in scoliosis and spinal surgery at the Hospital for Special Surgery, Cornell University Medical Center, New York.
I was lucky since he was recommended by a pediatric orthopedist as the only person that would cut him. Get second opinions even if you have to leave the state.

As for Chiros, if I would have gone to one I would now be sitting in a wheel chair. Any manipulation would have severed my nerv.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:23 PM
Mr. Demeanor

If your doctor is telling you you need a fusion by looking at an x-ray, w/o any other imaging, run away. Fusions are last resort. You may only need a much simpler procedure to take pressure off the nerve. I seriously recommend you seek another opinoin.

Old 10-14-2003, 11:24 PM
Registered

I had L4-5 fusion 10 months ago.I was in pain for ten years(I am 35).I was also very scared to have it done.Today, I am not total pain free. I do feel many times better.The first few months really are bad,but after that I felt better everyday. The thing that scared me is losing my mobility and not being able to do the things I always did.Now I still can do all those things I just have to be aware of what I have in my back.Good luck with what ever you choose.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:23 AM
Registered

Hi Guys, Mr Demeanor has it right!!! Do not let them go by an Xray, MRI is THE ONLY way to truly tell what is wrong!!! Also as he stated, fusions are the LAST resort, he is giving you great FREE advice!!! I know I have been there in your shoes... By the way, I would not let a Chiro touch my dog...
Old 10-15-2003, 03:10 AM
Registered

i hope you will find the right solution, the right doctor and ultimately feel better! however, i must say from my experience that it is very imprtant to address not only the problem itself but the source of that problem as well. you must work on your back strength, improve your posture, lose weight, improve your diet... basically address whatever is causing your back condition. otherwise, the operation will only reset the counter and if it takes 3 months to a full year to recover, you don't want to do this too often. good luck and all the best.