Notices

Bunk trailer question

Old 10-14-2003, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bunk trailer question

Sorry if this questions seems stupid but I have to ask. I just took delivery today of a Nextrail trailer for my '03 33 Outlaw. It is the standard bunk trailer. I was planning on having the local marina lift me onto the trailer. They use a travel lift w/ 2 straps. Can this be done on a bunk trailer w/o the strapg getting caught between the hull and the bunk? TIA
Old 10-14-2003, 08:59 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Maybe, maybe not. Gonna depend on where they have to put the straps and where the bunks are. Why not just have them put the boat in the water, then load it on the trailer???
Old 10-14-2003, 09:05 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Griff
. Why not just have them put the boat in the water, then load it on the trailer???
NO!!! If the bunks are out of position just right it can damage the bottom of your boat. Must be done out of the water. They should be able to do it with the straps.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:07 PM
Registered

Griff, if I have no choice, that's what I'll do, however, I was trying to avoid that at least until the bunks are adjusted and set.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:09 PM
Registered

Madcow, I posted before reading your post. It certainly makes sense.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

fatdaddy i too just took delivery of a nextrail bunk trailer and the marina used the big fork lift to set it on after adj. the bunks and it was fine. also how do you like your trailer ? mine has dual axel with brakes and mag wheels with spare tire nice trailer and a great price!!
Old 10-15-2003, 01:27 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Madcow
NO!!! If the bunks are out of position just right it can damage the bottom of your boat. Must be done out of the water. They should be able to do it with the straps.

Not disagreeing Madcow. Just don't know. My thought would have been if you put the boat on the trailer in the water and things aren't right when you pull out, you put back in with no damage.

I understand how you could see if the bunks are going to align with the hull or not, from the straps better then when at the ramp.

. Although if they didn't align at the ramp. Would that damage your bottom, as long as you didn't leave it that way and drive away ?

I have seen boats at the ramp, when you pull them out they are not just right. So you back in and get them straight and then pull them back out.

I would be more nervous with the straps if "strap" decals were not on the boat, and if the boat has never been on that trailer.

Again, I am speaking from opinion and or observation. I have no experience with straps. I just know they make me nervous.

Over & Out,
Dano
Old 10-15-2003, 04:46 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Been there done that with a Nextrail (actually Towmaster a few years ago. Don't make this more complicated than it is folks....if it's a conventional V, just take a tape and measure the center to center on the boat bottom where it's going to sit on the bunks (on the flat just "below" the second strake I'll bet). Move the bunks to this measurement apart, also equidistant from the side frame so you're "boat position" is in the "middle" of the trailer. Move the winch stand ahead (towards the truck) some and float on man! Throw the winch strap or a safety chain on it and pull it up the ramp slow and see where your at (damn close I'll bet). You want the bunks "pinching in" snug against the bottom. Geez...this is not rocket science...tape measure, ratchet, and some sense...setting up this trailer might take you 30-40 mins at the ramp with one other to assist. You'll end up moving the winch stand from you're first day position the boat seems right at (the first day will be a guess, as the bunks extend beyond the transom a bit on these trailers..so you can't go by that) fore or aft ...as you tow it a couple of times so that the tounge wieght is right over the next couple times you load it. They are an unbeatable trailer for the money!!!
Old 10-15-2003, 04:53 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Another tip: take a sledgehammer so you can "tap the bunks for incremental movement in or out without loosening the u-bolts completely that hold the bunks in position. Trust me! If you are close to perfect...and "loosen" U-bolt nuts "loose" to move the bunk you will loose you're position altogether, Just loosen the nuts enough after you get real "close" to budge the bunks sideways with light taps of the sledge.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also purchased a Nextrail Trailer. I have a step hull so it took a few times in and out at the launch ramp to get the bunks straight. This is a shot of the trailer before I set the bunks. I had my old marina put the boat on the trailer so I could go to the ramp to adjust the bunks. I made sure I did it during the week so I wouldn't be rushed or piss fellow boaters off at the ramps. I also took a few measurements and marked the trailer where I thought the bunks should go before taking the boat to the launch. Once I launched the boat I had a buddy watch the boat while I set the bunks.

Last edited by Scheuer10; 10-15-2003 at 07:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Bunk trailer question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.