Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: Do you take American Express?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/61545-ot-do-you-take-american-express.html)

Scott B 10-16-2003 06:05 AM

OT: Do you take American Express??

We no longer do...

Customer comes in last month. Charges 2800 bucks worth of new tools on her Amex. We photocopy her drivers license and the card, both of which match. Run card through the machine, get an authorization #.

3 weeks later, we get hit with a chargeback from Amex. They claim fraud, card # is some guy in Tx. We fax ID etc. to them, they say we are responsible, no recourse. Turns out they offer no protection for fraud. We used to spend a lot of money with them for fee's etc, that came to a screeching halt yesterday..

Merchants beware..

Scott B

Offshore Addiction 10-16-2003 06:22 AM

dont take it here either,or even use it myself anymore...they suck!

Rocky Dell 10-16-2003 06:24 AM

Unfortunately, I have to accept AMEX or I would lose a ton of business. The car rental business relies on credit cards. No credit card..........no car. AMEX charges me the most in fees. I would drop them in a minute if I could.

Turbojack 10-16-2003 06:26 AM

I have a amx card. When ever I make a big purchase or am out of my normal area they call & confirm that I made the purchase. Most times I get the call within Hrs or next day.

It was a fake card? Had a good number but everthing else was wrong? I guess her ID was fake also. Good one to call the cops on. If she did it to you she has done it to other people also. At least you have her picture.

mcollinstn 10-16-2003 08:41 AM

Wife takes Amex for her home decor biz. Most tickets are under $300, and almost all clients are local. Haven't had any probs there.

She swipes 3 Amex's to every one MC or Visa.

At craft fairs/trade shows, she gets more debit card biz.

If I am buying something, I'll always use Amex if it is accepted. Rewards points! I'm a rewards points junkie.
I've got around 450,000 of them by last count.

stevequick 10-16-2003 09:06 AM

We take AMEX and every other card. My experience has always been that the merchant pays. I have never won a dispute. No matter how much documentation I submit. Even when the customer is obviously committing fraud. They automatically take the cardmembers side. SQ

Doller Offshore 10-16-2003 10:29 AM

We have stopped taking it, but AMEX states that if the card is present and swipped at your location, and ID verified, you are covered. I would fight that bigtime.
I have both lost and won with AMEX..good luck.

yahoo 10-16-2003 10:47 AM

I had a customer deny a 10k charge. I closed the account so they couldnt take the monies out.

I opened an account just for credit cards, and keep no monies in it.

Curtis

HyperBaja 10-16-2003 10:51 AM

I have a National City Visa Debit card....for some reason wont work on the internet sales? Any ideas?

Also have never accepted an AMX card.

Another thing...How many people do you actually have check your ID when using a cc? I have had one since june, done around 2,000$ worth of use so far. That was for a 1.34$ coke (didnt have pepsi :( ) I had a 1200$ charge, and they didnt check my ID.

ChrisK 10-16-2003 12:21 PM

hyper a debt card is not exactly like a CC ... some places will not take just a debt card.