Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OT.. Please help me..I need to make sure my computer is clean. >

OT.. Please help me..I need to make sure my computer is clean.

Notices

OT.. Please help me..I need to make sure my computer is clean.

Old 10-17-2003, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts
Default OT.. Please help me..I need to make sure my computer is clean.

I have to call the tech support team here at work for some computer problems I'm having. Any suggestions on making sure there is no history trail of internet activity besides deleting temp files and downloads saved to desktop, my documents and my pictures? I would hate to make them suspicious...That would mean no more OSO during the day. Can you imagine what that would be like????
Thanks
Old 10-17-2003, 08:26 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget the history file in the browsers and to empty the recycle bin when you are all done.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try this software, you can download a trial, out IT guy here says it works pretty good but i've never tried it myself. http://www.historykill******/
Old 10-17-2003, 09:31 AM
Registered

I don't know why that didn't post the web page just do a search on "historykill2003"
Old 10-17-2003, 09:38 AM
Registered

try this also window washer
30 day trial is all you'll need....just install it and click wash, then go to add/remove programs and uninstall the software, you'll be clean as a whistle.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:43 AM
Registered

Good luck, you can use history kill and all of that other garbage you want but it can still be found out by looking in the event viewer. You cannot delete an event log

Deleting the history and temp files will make is less obvious yes, but when I want to know what a computer has been up to I use the event log.

Roby
Old 10-17-2003, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts

I went to programs/adminstrative tools/ event viewer and it allowed me to erase it without save. Is that what you are talking about?
Old 10-17-2003, 10:09 AM
Registered

Uhh well now when you call in your tech he will be looking into that to see what might be causing your problem. Hmm with out any log files what so ever is not gonna look right. You mean your I.T. group set you up with administrator privileges? Unless I'm sadly mistaken you shouldn't have been able to do that unless you were. We use MS Windows Server 2003 here, and our users can't erase a log.

Roby
Old 10-17-2003, 10:17 AM
Registered

Correct me if I'm wrong but the event logs don't save any info on web use any way.. do they?
Old 10-17-2003, 10:41 AM
Registered

They don't on where you have been but they do on that you have been and when. Just as they do when you check e-mail, install a program or delete a program. They told him to install window washer and historykill. When he goes to install those it will be logged. However the fact he is able to do so says he has administrator privileges and he can erase them anyway. But I pointed out that if he were having problems with his machine that might not be obvious to the tech, he would want to view the log file for an indication of trouble. (Such as CD-Rom, memory, printer, or other hardware) When the tech sees no log file under the system or application menu it will raise a red flag.

Roby

Quick Reply: OT.. Please help me..I need to make sure my computer is clean.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.