Like Tree0Likes

What single person is doing the most to premote the sport and lifestyle of offshore p

Old 10-21-2003, 04:49 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC

Quote:
Originally posted by C_Spray
T2x has a great point with Mercury. Love 'em or leave 'em, the sponsors understand where the market is.
That being said, I would still nominate the person at GMC who gave the final "OK" for the new deal with APBA. There's a mainstream company with significant resources that is now providing an organization with the resources to build a decent foundation for the future. It's not just about sponsorship dollars - it's also about how to run a real honest-to-God promotional program.
Okay Chuck let's keep score.......

History of Dedication to the sport

Mercury............ 56 years

GMC.................. 2 years

Products

Mercury............... Outboards, Inboards, and I/O's, race and pleasure drives, throttles, trim systems, indicators and hardware, propellers, installation schematics, exhaust systems, Lake X, expertise in all forms of boating, co-op advertizing with major (and minor) boat manufacturers, full marine dealer network........ etc

GMC...................... a V-8

Yeah...it's a tough choice...... but I'll stick with the men in black.

T2x
Old 10-22-2003, 12:44 AM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

My Boats: 2003 60' SeaRay, 2014 30' Concept CC

T2x, my Friend:

I must be getting old because I would have thought the Founders from the late 50's and early 60's that actually CREATED the sport would have been named. Such folks as Forrest Johnson (Prowler) Brownie (Nova, Cary, Cig, etc, etc) Scott Porters Dad (Formula Thunderbird) Ray Hunt and Dick Bertram (Bertram etc) Red Crise (promoter extraordinaire) Don Aronow (Magnum, Cigarette, Formula etc) Knocky House (without question one of the toughest people ever in an Offshore raceboat) Carl Kiekhaefer, Bill Sirois, Bobby Moore, George Linder and yep, T2x, Ben Kramer albeit INfamously) and more recently Reggie, Jack Clark (Cougar USA), Pete Hledin (Skater) The Lavin brothers, Bob Nordskog, the Nunez Family, Gene Whipp and by recently I mean 25 years ago thru current. And so many more who in their way set the foundations of what is today.

This is not to put aside the modern era of Offshore leaders and Leadership. This is their day, and as said in another fine Book, one year is a thousand and a thousand is as one, we can better judge the present in the years to come......................

No matter who is given credit, the hearts and souls of so many have been dedicated to Offshore racing, that picking but one is impossible. Just witness the emotion shown on OSO to see the depth of intensity from fans, the racers, the crews, the officials etc. Whatever side of an arguement they are on, at the very least, they are there, and that, Ms. Stewart would say, is a very good thing....

Ah, dang nurse is calling, must be feeding time

Last edited by SteveDavid; 10-22-2003 at 12:47 AM.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:54 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveDavid
T2x, my Friend:

I must be getting old because I would have thought the Founders from the late 50's and early 60's that actually CREATED the sport would have been named. Such folks as Forrest Johnson (Prowler) Brownie (Nova, Cary, Cig, etc, etc) Scott Porters Dad (Formula Thunderbird) Ray Hunt and Dick Bertram (Bertram etc) Red Crise (promoter extraordinaire) Don Aronow (Magnum, Cigarette, Formula etc) Knocky House (without question one of the toughest people ever in an Offshore raceboat) Carl Kiekhaefer, Bill Sirois, Bobby Moore, George Linder and yep, T2x, Ben Kramer albeit INfamously) and more recently Reggie, Jack Clark (Cougar USA), Pete Hledin (Skater) The Lavin brothers, Bob Nordskog, the Nunez Family, Gene Whipp and by recently I mean 25 years ago thru current. And so many more who in their way set the foundations of what is today.

This is not to put aside the modern era of Offshore leaders and Leadership. This is their day, and as said in another fine Book, one year is a thousand and a thousand is as one, we can better judge the present in the years to come......................

No matter who is given credit, the hearts and souls of so many have been dedicated to Offshore racing, that picking but one is impossible. Just witness the emotion shown on OSO to see the depth of intensity from fans, the racers, the crews, the officials etc. Whatever side of an arguement they are on, at the very least, they are there, and that, Ms. Stewart would say, is a very good thing....

Ah, dang nurse is calling, must be feeding time
I hereby award Mr. David boat racing's highest honor..... The Grand Order of Obsolesence. Mr. David will be inducted along with other candidates including the late Arnold Boyance, Sir Donald Campbell, and a portion of John Dillinger's anatomy.

Humbly and with suitable awe,

T2x
Old 10-22-2003, 09:36 AM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

My Boats: 2003 60' SeaRay, 2014 30' Concept CC

T2x,

As I slowly, ever so slowly, arise from my Formaldehyde bath, I do recall the Dillinger part more in reference to a term my late Father called me quite frequently, usually followed by the word "head"..........

Old 10-22-2003, 09:45 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2004 36 Concept

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveDavid
T2x, my Friend:

AMEN!
Old 10-22-2003, 02:37 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member
Trade Score: (2)

My Boats: 2000 Formula 382 with Innovation 600's

Good points and good people, all of them, but the question is phrased in the present tense, not past.

I reconsider my earlier suggestion, and vote: Scott Porter of Formula. Always a class act, a wholesome image, philanthropic, and seemingly completely removed from politics.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:29 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: Marlago 35 FS, 18 Neptune CC

Michael Mann

Without whom millions of people would not have been exposed to offshore powerboats
Old 11-28-2006, 07:22 PM
Registered

Default Re: What single person is doing the most to premote the sport and lifestyle of offshore p

Personally, I Have To Al Copeland.... He Has Developed A Lot Of For The Sport Of Offshore Racing,both Inside And Outside Of The Boat. I'am Talking About A Man Who Dropped Out Of School In The 6th Grade,who Turned 1 Chicken Joint Into An Empire. Just Look At All The National And World Titles He Received Over The Years. The True "innovator" Of The Sport.......
Old 11-28-2006, 07:35 PM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

My Boats: Former Boat Btch, now I just dream
Default Re: What single person is doing the most to premote the sport and lifestyle of offshore p

Interesting thread ....

My vote would have to Augie, Smitty and the Jersey Boyz ... they started my love affair with offshore racing. Dee, Sharkey, and Jeff at Freeze Frame for providing the pics/videos that keep me wanting more. Ron P and Company for providing a mag that I look forward to more than Maxim and Nascar Illustrated

Last edited by Racegirl3; 11-28-2006 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Outerlimits Sl44

I would think in today's world of offshore that John Haggin/AMF Offshore racing would have to top the list