Notices

My Monday morning episode

Old 10-20-2003, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wow,

Joker:

the concrete giving way means it was not supported underneath by the ground, it may have been washed away.

Suggest you consider installing some steel diamond plate strips where the landing gear sits on most 50' trailers to spread the load. A cheap EASY fix.

Wannabe
Old 10-20-2003, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Man what a way to ruin the day Let alone bring in a wrecker and have to fix landing gear feel sorry for the guys taht have to check the bill of ladden and count the ball bearings
Old 10-20-2003, 04:54 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so did the gear collapse, or did it actually punch through the slab? Usually we pour the aprons @ 12" thick with two mats of steel. No trailer is going to punch through that!
Old 10-20-2003, 05:16 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Classic trucking story

Many years ago (when I was a lad), I was out on a loading dock doing a ratio delay study for a trucking company I worked for.

There was a loud bang....and fifty people all raced down the dock to see what happened.

At the last door of 75 or so on one end...a full trailer of linoleum on pallets was laid on its side...dust still swirling around...with the empty yard tractor still attached... and on its side as well......

Standing on the driver's door... (which was now closed and facing the sky)....was the jockey (slang for yard driver).... a black man named Teddy (last name withheld intentionally).

Teddy , who was several shades lighter than normal, shouted to the eager faces staring out at him...... "What happened?"

"It rolled over from turning too sharply" said a voice.

Teddy replied.... " Yeah....but who was driving it??"

Teddy got a few weeks suspension for that one...... but to this day, it makes me laugh.

T2x
Old 10-20-2003, 08:39 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

We transferred a bunch of freight this Saturday from one warehouse to another , they are practically next door. The guy that loaded the trailer overloaded the trailer but the tractor was left under the trailer. My route driver comes to work this am and unhooks from the over loaded trailer , also nose heavy. It took about an hour for it to drop through the concrete. We did see some voids under the cement (6 inches thick). Just a bunch of mistakes came together. NEW POLICY - all trucks must be left under loaded trailers at the dock . Oh yea freight was undamaged - BH
Old 10-20-2003, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HOLY SMOKES! And I thought my day was bad!

I hope no one was hurt.