Brioschi/Reliable Wreck! must see pics! >

Brioschi/Reliable Wreck! must see pics!

Notices

Brioschi/Reliable Wreck! must see pics!

Old 10-21-2003, 12:08 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,721 Likes on 3,791 Posts

It certainly happened so fast, it was totally unbelieveable no one was hurt. As for the fault, just another example of why we need more camera's and angles, to view not only the race but analyze accidents and how to prevent them when possible. When you watch hydros there is always a high camera that shows half the course on the start, but the specific lines the boats carry into the first turn. This will also help the officials, access penalties and for the casual observers to understand why the penalty was given. I believe it would help the teams as well.
Team Reliable has brought a lot to APBA Offshore
from their custom trucks to their awesome pit set up, let alone the racing throughtout the season. As has Briocshi (SP) I hope both teams are able to make repairs and attend the worlds.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:28 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by Airpacker
Theres one rule in racing that can never be ignored nor denied. **** HAPPENS..
Its called racing,not driving around in a circle.
Rich,while I respect your point of view as always, I have to ask you if you really think a "lanes" rule would ever be respected by the racers or even enforcable by the sanctionong body?
While S**T undoubtedly happens....... a lot of SH*T can be prevented...and the worst way to approach this is to deliberately avoid solutions with stupid catch all phrases like "In racing S**T happens"

Having been DQ'd a time or two for "chopping" in turns in tunnel boat races...... (which make offshore look like slow motion)............ I can attest that , yes indeed, racers can and will respect lane rules....

All it takes is a referee and/or turn judge with cojones.

Are there debates( and some anger) in the pits after these decision?...absolutely..... but the kind of debate that is healthy and ......life saving.

T2x............

And no Airpackr...I didn't mean that YOU were stupid..... just Canadian
Old 10-21-2003, 04:33 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally posted by MrOffshore
I'm really confused...an experienced racer on this thread, "Curtis" explained that the boats all run close to the same speed...getting to the first turn first makes all the difference in winning...this stands to reason.

But then I hear that if the flag dropped earlier from Shane it would allow the boats to spread out more before arriving to the first turn...this stands to reason if the boats aren't equally as fast...otherwise it sounds to me like they are simply going to arrive at the first turn at the same time, only traveling much faster.

As T2x has stated there isn't any trophy worth dying for...oddly enough it's a risk many people take over and over again...the sport is addictive. But, I certainly see no reason why it wouldn't be a good idea to look things over and evaluate if something could be done to reduce accidents in the turns.

I am certain that the sanctioning body can enforce the rules that would be imposed...they don't seem to be having any problems doing it so far...for those teams that think the rules wouldn't apply to them, well kick them to the curb of a race or two and they might rethink what they're doing on the racecourse.

I can certainly tell you we would all be singing a different tune if someone had died in this accident, you all wouldn't be stating it simply racing...that's just too easy when everyone walks away with their life and just some torn up fiberglass. If someone had died there would be an outcry to look into a safer way of getting through the turns...it's just too bad an accident like this doesn't send the same wake up call to everyone. I don't think you need to be too rational to see that it's, at the very least, worth looking into.

In the end I am glad there are no grieving wives, children and friends...lifes short...play hard, but play smart.
Mr. Offshore:

I knew there was a reason we kept you around. Very well put...and spot on.

Congratulations....... you just might get me in a lawn dart yet

T2x
Old 10-21-2003, 04:34 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally posted by shifter
The lack of power is making people push to be out front and make up time in the corner.

Solution: Increase stability in corners, allow for hull changes, unrestrict evolution in design and performance.

pat W
Pat:

Amen...... AND..... keep them in separate wide lanes while turning.

T2x
Old 10-21-2003, 04:35 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally posted by Pete B
. When you watch hydros there is always a high camera that shows half the course on the start, but the specific lines the boats carry into the first turn. This will also help the officials, access penalties and for the casual observers to understand why the penalty was given. I believe it would help the teams as well.
Airpackr..... Please note the above.

T2x
Old 10-21-2003, 08:11 PM
LOOK AT THE LEAD NOW!!!!!
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ACCIDENTS HAPPEN

I am just very Happy that none of our friends were injured or killed in this accident. Both Jerry Gilbreath and Jay Muller are very experienced racers with more then enough experience under there belts. Whether one has more experience then the other is not an issue in this matter, Nor should it be.

This type of accident happens in all forms of powerboat racing. The first turn is always the crucial turn for accidents to happen. Whether it is Jerry, Jay, etc, etc all racers are always charging for that first turn. In Unlimiteds,Offshore,and Tunnels this type of thing happens. Sometimes the ending is much worse.

What you have are a bunch of adrenaline raged professionals wanting to win. This could have happened to any other teams or teams and the results would be the same if not worse. So lets not bash or degrade any of the individuals involved in this incident.

DPT
Old 10-21-2003, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gotta agree with Maximus,lets not start second guessing professional drivers who know the risks when they buckle them self in. They know the forces at work here. Lotta HP,lotta boat spells very dangerous sport! I`m sure they looked at that turn before the race and stratigized what they wanted to do. I`m sure they all wanted to be there first,but as chance has it,your NOT and now you have deal with it when you get there. Nobody forces them to RACE they do it cause they love the rush and competiveness. They are PROFESSIONALS so who are we to second guess what they were thinking.They new that turn was going to be a challenge before they ever suited up. Yes,its fantastic that no one was killed, but everyone knows the risk that goes with this sport. I`m sure every family member would agree he if the unthinkable should happen at least he died doing what he LOVED TO DO!!! I`ve told the wife and kids that every time I turn the key. More rules just make it more controversial and complicated. Heres the course race it or don`t it`s your call!
Old 10-21-2003, 09:19 PM
merlin540

what do you guys think about sat race with pt and px boats on the inside at the start. we got hosed so bad by callen at the start in the agitator it was just stupid. all i did was close my eyes and floor it and of course broke out in p1 and lost. it wasnt fun to have to run at 4800 rpm on the rev limiter that apba made me run. a open canopy 32 skater is at a real disadvantage when you cant use all the power that is available for racing. i am going to request to be bumped up to px so i can be the 1st boat to the 1st turn. see ya charlie amann P1-32 AGITATOR OFFSHORE RACING

Old 10-21-2003, 09:38 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

All in All Nick Great Pics!!! See you in Alabama!!! Our hotel is at the start finish line and is the VIP center, I'll see if I can at least equal your killer shots!!!!
Old 10-22-2003, 06:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks man, I appreciate it! Hope to see you in OB!

Quick Reply: Brioschi/Reliable Wreck! must see pics!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.