Notices

Vinyl dye question

Old 10-20-2003, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Vinyl dye question

I have yellow vinyl in my cockpit (yes, I am also sorry) that has been faded a little by UV sunlight. I could replace it, but some of it is stitched making it a tough do-it-yourself job. Overall the vinyl is in great shape, just a little faded. Whoever did the vinyl work did it right. It doesn't warrant spending the $$$ to have it professionally redone based on it's excellent condition and the overall value of the boat.

I know they make dye's and paints for these applications. Has anyone ever tried using these products and if so what were the results like? How do they hold up to the marine environment?

TIA!
Old 10-20-2003, 04:23 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

i have used some dyes from ppg that i have had good luck with. the key is to use the vinyl prep that goes along with the dye. seem to lock it in real good. also best if your just freshining up the color rather than changing it altogather.i will try and get the ppg part #'s and post them
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 10-20-2003, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great. I know better than to try changing the color. I'll stick with the Big Bird Yellow until it needs replacing. A friend of mine owns a body shop. I'm sure he can get me whatever I need. How is the ppg product applied? Is it just rubbed into the vinyl or is it sprayed on? Have you tried any other brands?

Thanks Dave!!!
Old 10-20-2003, 09:32 PM
packinair

I redo mine with die every year.. I have also changed colors in a car I had and was amazed with the results.. I assume going from yellow to white you might be ok

Old 10-20-2003, 10:46 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

the dye that i used was spray on. most ppg automotive paint supliers should be able to mix to match to your existing color, just find an unfaded piece an take it in. sprays through any automotive spray gun. i'll see if i can get the #'s posted of the stuff i used.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 10-21-2003, 12:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed the color on my jet boat seats some years back. I changed the seat color from faded canary yellow to a tangerine orange. I sold the boat about five years later and the seats looked as good as the day I sprayed them. It basically becomes a new coating of vinyl over the existing.

The product is Mar-Hyde and is available in spray cans or quarts that can be sprayed in a spray gun. The trick is to soak the vinyl with laquer thinner which softens the surface. I think the PPG stuff is similar to Mar Hyde and have a quart to try out on some seats for my runabout.

Good Luck
Bulldog