Notices

Awlgrip paint

Old 10-21-2003, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Awlgrip paint

I ordered a gallon of Awlgrip paint (Vivid Red), converter, and reducer today in order to repaint my bilge/engine compartment. I was going to also get the Awl-quik primer but it is currently unavailable through West Marine and other local sources.

For anyone that has used Awlgrip, did you use the primer first? It'll cost almost $300 for a gallon of primer and converter. I intend to do it right, but if I don't really need the primer, it would make life alot easier - we're running out of 60*F days. The original red paint is in pretty good condition, I've already thoroughly degreased, cleaned, and sanded it. I have been told that the original paint may be Awlgrip as well.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:01 PM
pb
Charter Member
Charter Member

Hey Monty,
I may be asking the obvious, but did you check their website. It mentions doing a test patch for compatibility between old and new. You will lose a day waiting for the 24 hr dry time, but it may be worth it in the long run.

I rerigged my old boat last year and recoated the bilge with Interthane 2 part epoxy. I did use the prescribed primer but not before sanding the bejeezus out of it.
The end results were awesome. Cord also used the same product and helped me through the prep.

Good luck.
Paul

BTW, Where are you working on the boat. I like projects like this and would enjoy checking it out some time.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:02 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Question-how much time are you putting into the project? Do you have the engines out? The bilge totally stripped? Is it perfectly clean? How much did you spend on the paint? Ok, do you have a number? All right, so how much time/money do you want to spend when the paint starts to peal and you have to redo the job? That's what I thought.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:18 PM
Registered

Yes, I checked their website and downloaded their application guide.

Like I said, I intend to do it right the first time. I'm not worried about the additional cost of the primer (the paint and converter/reducers were over $600), it's just a matter of getting it in time. It's currently backordered through every distributor I've contacted, and they have no expected delivery date. The real problem is that we are running out of warm enough days here in the Chicago area and I'd like to get it done within the next couple of weeks. I should be finished assembling my new 540's within the next few weeks, and I need to have the painting done prior to reinstalling the new engines and tranny's.

A couple of people have emailed/PM'd me indicating that they didn't use the Awlgrip primer and they didn't experience any negative results.

The only thing left in the bilge is the transom assembly's. The engines, tranny's, sea strainers and all plumbing, all wiring, hydraulic hoses, etc have been removed or located out of the way. I throughly cleaned and degreased the bilge and engine compartment. The only remaining prep work I have left is sanding, and recleaning. which I will complete this weekend.

Pb, I'm currently storing and working on the boat in a warehouse in New Buffalo, MI. My wife and I have a beach house between Michigan City, IN and New Buffalo, so I'm only able to work on it during the weekends we go to the lake.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:55 PM
pb
Charter Member
Charter Member

With no delivery date of the primer I would be inclined to do the test patch. Does not hurt to try.

I am heading up to Benton Harbor area this weekend to put the boat in storage. We also have a lake house in SW Mich, however on an inland lake too small for the new boat.

Occasionally, I try to meet with Bruce Wolff in Baroda to throw back a couple of cold sodas.

Hope all works out!
Old 10-21-2003, 04:51 PM
Registered

I did my bilge with white over what had to be existing gel coat. Sanded and cleaned good and it worked well, 3 coats. There was a few little bubbles over where I had done some west system epoxy that I must not have gotten clean enough.
If your gonna spray that stuff, wear a suit with an air supply, its nasty.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:03 PM
Registered

Yes! The use Awlgrip primer is a must IF the original paint is NOT Awlgrip. I recently stripped and re-Awlgriped a boat where the previous painter used Awlgrip over a Brand X primer. In some places, you could literally peal large strips off of the side of the boat. Awlgrip is a system, and you sure don't want that stuff flaking off in the bildge in a couple of years.

Also, though not as glossy as Awlgrip, consider using a true two-part epoxy paint in the bilge that doesn't require a primer. It's easy, fast, less toxic fumes than Awlgrip, and is tough as nails.

If you end up spraying the Awlgrip, beware of isocyanides. Use a fresh air supply respirator.

Last edited by ForrestC; 10-21-2003 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you paint an entire boat hull and top deck in that stuff ?
Old 10-22-2003, 12:43 PM
Registered

I called West Marine's 1-800 catalog order number and found out that West Marine doesn't have the Awlgrip primer in stock anywhere in the country. Neither does any distributor in the area.

The WM customer service rep got an Awlgrip rep on the line and he said that the Awl-quik primer really wasn't a necessity for a bilge/engine compartment as long as the underlying surface was clean and scuffed, especially if it had been painted with Awlgrip previously. He said you needed to use the primer if you were painted exterior surfaces though, such as the hull or deck.

He also said that in most cases, painting Awlgrip over another type of paint isn't usally a problem as long as that paint's adhesion hasn't failed (which mine has not). He further indicated that many, if not most, premium boat builders use Awlgrip for their bilges/engine compartments, and he thinks Cigarette has for a very long time. He further added that most boat builders who use Awlgrip do not use the primer, they simply paint right over the fiberglass, wood, or gelcoat. He said the only negative to not primering first is that it might not be as glossy, but it would still be glossy, not flat or satin.

Just thought you might like to know what I found out.