El Boss

Old 10-22-2003, 05:15 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by DARREN US1
T2x,

The Cigarette won the Worlds in the Sport Class in 1981.
I was just checking to see if you were paying attention.......

Now which hull went around the course faster????

T2x........
Old 10-22-2003, 05:19 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally posted by Sean
damn t2x...looks like you've been schooled
s!
Darren has been "schoolin" me for years...... sometimes the father teaches the son...... sometimes the son teaches the father.

see www.darrensoffshorephotos.com..... I'm a big fan of his Dad......

T2x.......... proud of his "hero" as always
Old 10-22-2003, 05:38 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally posted by cashbrain
Is it true that Bobby Saccenti rigged the Shadow"El Boss" and recieved the George Linder designer award
I believe he rigged the El Boss CIG as well.....
Yes Bobby rigged it.... I have no idea what the George Linder designer award is...... and George is my best friend.... It's probably something he put together with his PR people.

The story...... Willie ran in a race off Fort Lauderdale, that I was in. Both of us were in Sport class...he in the Eickert, injected aluminum small block/ Cig.... me in a Prototype Shadow Cat with Mercury T-4 outboards/ Wayne "quicker" Vickers on throttles. The flag dropped and Willie accelerated away from the field.... then he looked to his right..and saw Wayne and I checking his top speed..... right next to him. We ran along like this for a mile or two matching his every effort to gain speed...until we got bored and roared off to tear up the Open Fleet.....

Shortly thereafter, Willie bought a Cougar cat, and found that it was too heavy..... He rigged it any way..and it was slightly faster than his Cigarette (low 80's). He got angry and had Bobby Saccenti (his rigger) call me and order a Shadow.

Willie jumped on the phone and asked what it would weigh, bare hull.... I said "maybe 3000/3500 lbs...depending" ."

We delivered the boat and it weighed maybe 3500 lbs..... close to the Cougar's weight..... Willie was furious and called me...demanding another boat. I said "go ahead and rig that one"..... It'll run 115 as is" (faster than anything else in race trim at the time in any class). He said (and I'll never forget these words).... "It better bro....or I'll burn it...in your driveway".

He rigged it......it went 118 ...first time it hit the water in New Orleans...... and he and I became pretty good amigos..after that.

To this day...El Boss was the most exciting Shadow Cat of all. Black Duck was the winningest, and Love It was the most fun.

T2x
Old 10-22-2003, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where are these Shadow cats now and who builds them today? How many times were they 'splashed'?
Old 10-22-2003, 05:57 PM
LOBSTERBOY

As a matter of fact , i named our race boat EL DIABLO with the EL BOSS in mind !!! Got to love the old them good old days !!!!

Old 10-22-2003, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by T2x
He said (and I'll never forget these words).... "It better bro....or I'll burn it...in your driveway".

T2x
Do you think he actually would HAVE BURNED IT IN YOUR DRIVEWAY if it hadn't run at least 115mph???
Old 10-22-2003, 06:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally posted by T2x
Darren has been "schoolin" me for years...... sometimes the father teaches the son...... sometimes the son teaches the father.

see www.darrensoffshorephotos.com..... I'm a big fan of his Dad......

T2x.......... proud of his "hero" as always
Thank you T2x! I did not feel like taking this to the Betacam... BALDY!.................BALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLRIGHT!
Old 10-22-2003, 06:45 PM
Registered

I remember watching El Boss AND later American Dream by then had canopies. that boat ran its butt off. With small blocks no less! The feds always seem a little interested in those boys. My buddie whent to an Fed auction and bought an old seahawk cougar, Boy the 80s were some interesting times. Hey where is Sal?

Last edited by mmwalters; 10-22-2003 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jerrry and Willie ran Love it Again. Both good friends of mine. Jerry is getting ready to "graduate" Fast boats and fast times. NO o/b ever outran "el Boss" unless it was broke or sittin on a trailer. "el Boss did out run the open fleet in Ft. Lauderdale in the early eighties. I know because I was in one of them.

Stan

Popeyes O.R.T.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:22 PM
GJL
Registered

You better believe that Willie would have burned the boat in T2X's driveway!!!

When we sold him a Chris Cat he told Dick Genth (President of Chris Craft) he would park the boat in his living room if it didn't meet expecitiations.

To put the performance of El Boss in perspective in the 80's Open boats started at least 5 minutes ahead of Sport class and Willie and El Boss would catch and pass the entire open fleet within one lap. After several such embarassing races for the Open class boats the APBA changed the courses for Sport and Open class so this could not happen.

The rigging was by Bob Saccenti and was flawless, the engines (small blocks) by Kieth Eickert and nothing could touch them.

Willie Diaz was the most fearless and daring throttleman I have ever seen. He eventually broke the first El Boss defeating the best V hulls in 6-8 foot seas off Miami and T2X built him another one.

Darren has the video file tapes of these exploits and they must be seen to be believed. Hope he does a DVD.

George Linder

Quick Reply: El Boss

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.