Notices

Arneson on V Bottoms

Old 11-16-2003, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

finally, this will be of greatest interest to most of us. if you're into staggered stuff, here's a double one for you. and cigwillie, Trimax is widely used by the special ops military including the Navy Seals on their fast hit-and-run and interceptor vessels and they sure do not want to be seen on any radar screens. the tragedy of trimax is the fact that manufacturers were not really receptive to it because of the re-tooling costs so it has very much become a professional bit of equipment for military, coast guard, police, customs, special forces...
Attached Thumbnails Arneson on V Bottoms-50weng.jpg  
Old 11-16-2003, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

This old Hustler is currently equipped with 540,s
approx 580 hp power each with #8 ASD with 16inch
drop boxes 1,33 to 1 ratio there is no steps in the hull.
there is 12 inch notch in the transom. look on page 76 in power boat magazine July.2003 issue.they did 1985 year in review the March 1985 issue The featured hustler weighing 7500 lbs did 102 mph with full trim.

That was 18 years ago When Mike Fiore's (Outerlimits)Father Desighned that hull.

I run 101 gps with full tanks of fuel.
I can also wash Bridges on the weekends.
It takes time to get use to the handling.( Stern high)
Alot of wetted surface.
Backing up sucks.
Alll in all.
You cannot even compare to stern drives.
Better fuel Economy.
More efficient propulsion System
People fall on the ground when you pull the boat on the trailer.
They handle a sick amount of Horsepower.

I would never go back to stern drives
Just my two Cents...
Attached Thumbnails Arneson on V Bottoms-dscn0182.jpg  
Old 11-16-2003, 01:47 PM
Registered

Here is a shot in the high 80's.

Notice the amount of wetted surface.
Attached Thumbnails Arneson on V Bottoms-image091.jpg  
Old 11-16-2003, 02:10 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a question. There is a Formula 302 up here exactly like Cudas' boat, maybe even the same year. The Formula dealer here has been a dealer forever, so he sold the boat new.

He said, the boat will spin out if you cut the throttles too quick. He said it happened to them when the boat was new.

Now, I know the guy who owns it these days and haven't heard of any mishaps. Is this true with the Kamma, Arneson, etc setup?
Old 11-16-2003, 02:15 PM
Banned

Originally posted by cigracer28/38
I have a question. There is a Formula 302 up here exactly like Cudas' boat, maybe even the same year. The Formula dealer here has been a dealer forever, so he sold the boat new.

He said, the boat will spin out if you cut the throttles too quick. He said it happened to them when the boat was new.
I haven't tried doing that, but I haven't had anything indicate that something like that would happen. I've never heard it before either.
Old 11-16-2003, 02:43 PM
Registered

Yes, true. That will happen with arnesons and that is one precaution you must take. Like caveman says, you must get used to handling. It is due to things i was talking about in post #31. At speed, the props are too aerated and the transom gets light. Backing off abrubtly in a sharp turn will cause you to lose the rear end in some cases. You really have to try though, meaning maximum speed, very hard turn, drives trimmed all the way up. When I spoke to Fabio Buzzi about Arnesons, this is one argument he had against it. This does not happen with Trimax as much because the cavitation is regulated and drives are covered by that platform. However, certain things must be said. Firstly, if you really try, you can lose the rear end on a high-performance sterndrive boat just as easily, especially if it's a modern highly-ventilated stepped hull with an aggresive X dimension. Secondly, this is not really the fault of Arneson as a drive. If you know how to use it, you can go into a turn just as fast and not lose control. You just have to learn how to use it. Imagine you drive a Viper which is front-heavy and you have a certain way of handling that favorite fast curve of yours. Well, if you did exactly the same thing with a Porsche GT2, I guarantee it would bite you back and take you for a spin. Nothing wrong with that GT2 though and it's even faster than a Viper. You just have to learn to use it...
Old 11-16-2003, 03:09 PM
Registered

that sounds a bit too much for ASD6s. that must be full retail. but you're touching a very important point there. your sutphen is a great bottom but it has been designed with sterndrives in mind. although changing to surface drives is possible, it's a difficult process because everything is configured for sterndrives. this is why sterndrives are still so popular. it's a cultural thing. sociologists would use one of their favorite buzzwords and say that sterndrives are "embedded" in popular culture... but, if you're ordering a new boat ask the manufacturer about surface drive possibilities. Even if you're running 525s or 575s, it really is worth it and it should not cost you much more, if at all. better invest in surface drives than in a paintjob. you won't regret it and you'll never look back.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:03 PM
Registered

http://www.simplicity-marine.com/surfprop.htm

This is a good article explaining surface technology
Old 11-16-2003, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

fred you need 6's?
Old 11-16-2003, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a question as well for surface drives -but in a single drive application. I've got a 28 foot Cigarette that I was thinking of repowering from a single HP500/Bravo One to an Arneson/Yanmar Diesel 440 HP. (What better thing to do this Winter right?)

Does anyone have any familiarity with single surface drive applications? I am hearing that the negative aspects of Arneson's (which I think would be well worth the trade offs) are greatly magnified when you only have one drive. Would greatly appreciate any input from those with experience here.

Quick Reply: Arneson on V Bottoms

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.