Notices

Arneson on V Bottoms

Old 11-29-2003, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hmmmmmmmmmm

Originally posted by super termoli
That looks like somebody took a sterndrive rather than a surface drive and made its X dimension variable. What I'm trying to say is that this Sage drive is clearly inspired by the #6. I'm sorry but it all looks very fragile. I bet I could break it in a day. Awesome boat, great racers but those drives have a "DIY" look about them. What is interesting is that with this drive, we have the whole spectrum covered. First we have Trimax which is not trimmable nor steerable. Just a fixed shaft, thus requiring rudders for steering. Then we have the BPM drive which is not steerable and thus requires rudders but is (slightly) trimmable. Then we have Arnesons and the likes of SDS drives which are trimmable and steerable. And finally we have the Sage drive which is trimmable, steerable and with a variable X dimension, in other words it moves all over the place. No prizes for guessing which is the most reliable. Plus, the Trimax can be set at a really shallow angle (2°) because certain design characteristics allow it to keep good handling characteristics even at this angle (cavitation control). So you can be just as fast if not faster than others while keeping it all supremely reliable. It simply NEVER broke in racing and it is fast. Look at Tommy Bahama. As far as I'm concerned, it's really the best surface drive system. I am expecting to be shot down in flames for saying this but I'll leave it at that...

you are obviously not south of Bar, and working for the right side. I am really impressed with your Trimax knowledge.
Old 11-29-2003, 10:27 AM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I heard there in the 10k range GLH
Old 11-29-2003, 10:49 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks Brian
Old 11-29-2003, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually they are closer to 15k
Old 11-29-2003, 04:25 PM
FWK

Don't believe that a Sutphen won't run with arnesons. I think in 1987-88 they had a 33 that ran 120. It was one of the boats they used when they advertised.

Old 11-29-2003, 07:20 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I WILL have the exact number Monday. And obviously will post it!
Old 11-29-2003, 08:33 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

FWK you are absolutely correct, it was "Endangered Spieces" and they pulled the Arensons and went to #5's on boxes.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:12 PM
FWK

Bob we originally ordered that boat and then my partners backed out I do believe they put a set of banks motors in it like we were going to do. It then ran 120 which at the time made it one of the fastest pleasure V bottoms in the country.

Old 12-01-2003, 09:47 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

FWK/ I was refering to 33' Endagered Spieces that was a race boat, that Dennis Bradley later purchased and campaigned as a B boat Tsunami. I had been told the boat had Arnesons originally, barrel rolled and swapped ends a couple times as a race boat and then Dennis purchased. If I recall they even tryed to install a skeg in the keel to help it turn, like the flat bottoms. Dennis purchased and then rigged it with 5's on boxes. As far as being a fast boat with the Arnesons I guess that is very possible. Maybe not fast around a race course? I had another friend with a 33 with blower motors and Arnesons and I believe that boat was at 110+. Sutphen has a fast bottom and provides it's own lift, but I am not sure how the hull reacts in turns and during re-entry with the drive.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:24 PM
FWK

This boat would have been a pleasure boat that was done in white.

Quick Reply: Arneson on V Bottoms

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.