Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OT:  Invisible fences - anyone have one? >

OT: Invisible fences - anyone have one?

Notices

OT: Invisible fences - anyone have one?

Old 11-18-2003, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents had one after I went to college. I thus didn't have much experience with it. However, it was, according to them, ineffective when the dog they got after I moved out, was at a full run. She would just keep going with only a momentary hesitation. Unfortunatley, one day she bolted and went right through the fence without stopping. She disappeared down the street and was lost. The next day someone (after all the neighbors and my parents drove around putting up posters and looking for her) came by to tell my parents she had been hit by a car and killed. So, it was pretty sad.

Now, despite that, I will say that when she was just nosing around lazily, she would stay within it's boundaries. My parents used the Invisible Fence brand and had it professionally installed. Don't know if any other brand would have been more effective. The dog was a beagle that wieghed about 40 pounds.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

chris232 advice is very legitimate...
h20warrior.... I would'nt wan't to be around when those batteries silently give up as Speed Girl alludes to in her reply ...

The only real problem with them is that if your dog(s) do respond to them 100% of the time and stay protected in your yard the system does'nt stop other dogs getting into your yard..Then what ?

Kind of like automatic bilge pumps...Nice to have but never rely on them.

Remember it's only 'Invisible Fencing' NOT 'Invincible Fencing' !
Old 11-18-2003, 06:03 PM
Registered

I gave it a 99%, the trick is that you have to mind f#%& your dog into believing this fence exists. We installed one 8 years ago nad it works great so long as you train the dog according to the provided instructions.
We have 2 long haired weener dogs who loved to travel. The system works well !!!!

The problem is it won't keep your neighbors German Sheppard from eating your weener dog, as had happened to us. We gave up and went on to chain link.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:07 PM
Registered

I must have one because I can't see one. How do you tell if it is invisible? Oh, that kind of fence, I just have a female yellow lab who only cares where I am and wants to be close by at all times. I could leave her out all night and she would just sit on the front porch until morning. But I would never do that, she sleeps in the bed and I'd miss her.