Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OT:  Invisible fences - anyone have one? >

OT: Invisible fences - anyone have one?

Notices

OT: Invisible fences - anyone have one?

Old 11-17-2003, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Invisible fences - anyone have one?

Anyone have one of those invisible fences for the pooch? How hard is it to put one in? How effective are they?

We just moved into a new house and the sub doesn't allow fences, so I'm thinking of an invisible fence for the hound. Any advice is appreciated...
Old 11-17-2003, 11:04 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one Mike it worked GREAT!!! its easy to install just a pain if you need to cross walks or your drive way. I bought mine several years ago when they first came out and paid through the a$$ now they are really cheap. I'd still have one but I have GreyHounds and they run right through them...
Old 11-17-2003, 11:08 AM
Registered

Best thing I ever did for my dog....he is a ninety pound doberman.....I wouldn't do it any other way now....he has complete run of the yard and knows his boundaries...He really doesn't even need the collar anymore...but I keep it on him most of the time...just in case.....
Old 11-17-2003, 11:11 AM
Registered

How do you install it? Does it have to be complete loop or can it run from one side of the house, around the back, to the other side of the house? (my few courses in electrical engineering are many, many years and beers behind me)

Out elephant is pretty strong and pain-tolerant, but he also knows his boundaries and will stick to them once he figures it out (I hope).
Old 11-17-2003, 11:14 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Neighbors have one. They certainly do work, but they have had problems with the collars. The collars apparently do not like water.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:16 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

you get what you pay for the good ones cost a little more.....its a complete loop Mike
Old 11-17-2003, 11:20 AM
Registered

I was skeptical at first but they work great!
Old 11-17-2003, 11:23 AM
Registered

Thumbs up They are EXCELLENT!

I would reccommend the INVISABLE FENCE brand name. We have one at both houses and teh one at the lake goes out into the water so the dogs don't swim away. There needs to be a complete loop. What is transmitted is a AM radio signal. The collars convert it to a static shock. You can adjust the distance from the wire that the animal can go. The company can adjust the strength of the shock in the collar. You can also be set up for a regular battery change where they send you one on a regular basis. Because it works on a radio wave, you can have multiple dwellings with the same frequency so the collar works both places. It takes a little time to train Fido but after that it is awesome. Installation on both of ours was done by the company and they run right under the driveway, even set it INTO rock. There is a rubber cover you can put over the shocking prongs that still allows the collar to emit the signal to warn the dog. Often times this is all that is needed and they don't need the shock. Each dog is unique though. Shoot me a PM if you want more info.

Last edited by Shane; 11-17-2003 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:31 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Thats what I had too Shane...
Old 11-17-2003, 11:34 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Yea, all you need is a lawn edger to cut the trench! At the driveway, we just scored it using a diamond blade in a grinder. Blew out the groove, pushed in the wire and then ran a bead of eurethane caulk over it.

Strong? All you need to do is turn it up! The neighbor's dog loves to lung after other dogs. His dog came screaming out of the garage and was headed for the road. He quickly turn the fence up and the dog hit it at full speed. The dog flipped over backwards from the shock! In the mean time the smaller one was in the backyard and was too close to the fence. She was actually paralized and was yipping until he turned it back down. They do work!

Last edited by Cord; 11-17-2003 at 11:37 AM.

Quick Reply: OT: Invisible fences - anyone have one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.