Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   ANYONE use INTERPHASE foward scanning (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/64042-anyone-use-interphase-foward-scanning.html)

wwwTOPDJcom 11-18-2003 01:00 PM

ANYONE use INTERPHASE foward scanning

has anyone used there products, if so does it work
as expected

mcollinstn 11-25-2003 09:37 AM

Yes.

Have considered buying one on several occasions. There are significant drawbacks AND plusses.

If you are expecting to run 40mph in 30' of water and have ample warning of some 3' deep water in time to turn or stop then you won't find that kind of performance here.

what application and what specific water conditions?

wwwTOPDJcom 11-25-2003 09:44 AM

no but if your in the 1000 islands region and know your
water somewhat it could be usefull , I not saying its gonna be any use if your running above 35mph,
but if your in 10 feet of water running no wake speed
it might save a prop or 2
I generally wont run over 10mph unless Im sure of the water depth

mcollinstn 11-25-2003 10:21 AM

mmkay, here's the lowdown.

The display scales both depth AND forward range. In other words, the 1000' depth range might show 1500' in front. The 90' depth range shows like 135' in front. The 20' depth range shows like 35' in front. AND THIS IS IN FRONT OF THE TRANSDUCER. If you mount the transducer off the transom, you must remember that it is marking distance from there (which is where the prop is anyhow).

The transducer must also be mounted vertically and at a depth of about 2.5" below the hull surface so it has a good forward "view". The hull must not have any chine or fitting in front of a 12 degree cone from the transducer or forward horizontal view will be "dirty".

If you want the unit that ALSO looks side to side, the transducer must be mounted lower than the bottom of the vee for full view to horizontal to the sides.

Aside from the above stuff, they work as advertised and if I had a good place to mount the display on my cruiser, I'd have one today (with the thruhull transducer).

macvtt 11-26-2003 05:00 PM

We have one for the 36 cobra center console. Only problem is where to mount the transducers. On the transom they disturb the water flow to the nosecone. We will be trying some other ideas. If it works out I will let all know. The transducers are not small and need to be in the water. They must add some drag, not good for performance boaters.

wwwTOPDJcom 11-26-2003 06:15 PM

what no thur hulls ?

super termoli 11-26-2003 06:18 PM

i had an interphase outlook fish finder on my center console boat. worked great and did scan forward like it should have. but, there are two types of transducers for this product: transom-mounted and thru-hull. if you want real accuracy, you need to go for the thru-hull model and this is big and bulky and as macvtt said, it will hurt your performance. Not to mention that you will have to drill a hole in your hull. Those sounders are not really intended for performance boats anyway. It's intended for fishing, diving, etc.

mcollinstn 11-26-2003 07:10 PM

Thru hull must be mounted on an angle block to keep it vertical. This makes it stick down even further. If you had a FLATBOTTOM it would stick down 2.5"
On a vee, it will stick down 2.75" from the "short" side and even deeper on the "long side". I would say that a transom mount would be the only one to use for a performance boat, and even then you should use a springloaded kickup mount that will allow it to pop up if it hits something - otherwise it may sink the boat if it gets ripped off the transom at 70.

www.interphase-tech.com
has the transducer drawings. Go take a look-see.