Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: Mountain Biking (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/64162-ot-mountain-biking.html)

Phknlwyr 11-19-2003 01:53 PM

OT: Mountain Biking

Are there any XC, single track, and/or free riders out there in OSO land?

Indy 11-19-2003 02:17 PM

Used to be USCF & NORBA (?) but not much anymore. If you need a good shop in your area, my cousin owns the Bicycle Place in Silver Springs. He just expanded his store...nice place now.

Phknlwyr 11-19-2003 02:21 PM

Great. I will check it out. I'm looking for a new ride. Intense, Ventana, Santa Cruz. I'm selling my Stinky Dee-Lux for a lighter bike.

Clay Washington 11-19-2003 02:21 PM

I'm sorry, but if it doesn't have a gasoline engine I don't do it! :D

Phknlwyr 11-19-2003 02:27 PM

So, Clay, does your wife/girlfriend (boyfriend?) have to strap on an Evinrude in order to get you to phk them?

ChrisK 11-19-2003 02:33 PM

ouch...

Phknlwyr 11-19-2003 02:49 PM

Originally posted by Phknlwyr
So, Clay, does your wife/girlfriend (boyfriend?) have to strap on an Evinrude in order to get you to phk them?
Tongue was planted firmly in cheek on that one.

Chart 11-19-2003 04:18 PM

Check out Roark before buying elsewhere

I don't know much about biking, but my client Roark does. They make parts for jet engines out of titanium and other exotic materials. A few years ago the owner was talking with another worker (both were hard core bicyclists) about how no-one made a good enough titanium bicycle..... and so they decided to do so themselves. These guys are serious engineers, and approached bicycle design from an aviation engineering perspective.

Working with the National Institute of Fitness and Sport on the ergonomics, they now custom manufacture titanium bicycles. While most of their work is road bikes, they also make mountain bikes. If you hurry, they are still doing direct to customers at a very attractive price. Soon they will start a dealer network, and will have to protect the dealers' prices.

www.roarkcycles.com

Cord 11-19-2003 04:26 PM

I bought a Gary Fischer years ago and absolutly love it. It's a great climbing bike. Just wish I could get out more often to ride.

Pantera1 11-19-2003 04:39 PM

Well

Not sure what the difference is between single track/ freeriding .. I dont get into the buzz words ..
But I prefer bombing down the ski areas around here ..
Like the technical stuff the more rocks and stumps etc the better.. Need to upgrade the ride soon ..Disc brakes and full suspension will be on the next ride..

Indy 11-19-2003 04:46 PM

Phknlwyr...shoot me a PM if you decide to go out and I'll make sure Mike knows you're coming. He's honest, a straight shooter, and good in his profession and will make sure your taken care of.

http://www.thebicycleplace.com

BajaFresh 11-19-2003 05:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Santa cruz Superlight

HyperBaja 11-19-2003 05:06 PM

Used to mountain bike....Then went to BMW for a while...I think I hit my head too many times. One day I realized I dont jump anymore, I just see how fast I can go. Being a lazy american I bought a motorized scooter, and used that as the death mobile for a while.

cigarette1 11-19-2003 05:15 PM

Used to ride a lot ... road and offroadonly. Rode a Fischer Pro Caliber until someone stole it out of my garage. Loved single track and climbing. Now, anytime I need to ride offroadonly, which I hope is only fire roads these days, I pull out my Bianchi Cyclo-cross ... sweet and rare for SoCal ... skinny knobbies, cantelever brakes, Durace and drop bars. I also have a 1983 Bianchi rode bike ... sew-ups, all Campy and Celeste.

G

Madmax 11-19-2003 05:34 PM

One word on mountain bikes.......

Yeti.

you'll never be the same........:p

glassdave 11-19-2003 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
yep. . . . .xc . . single track . . .:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

my Klein, I freakin love this bike. climbs like a mountain goat. . . . .cept go'n down hill :eek:

did slickrock moab a few years ago. thats when i parked the roadbike and went offroad :D.

Klein Mantra Race
XTR
tubeless Mavic's
Avid disks
Marzochi bombers
does the job:cool:

dreamboater 11-19-2003 06:16 PM

I guess I used to be last year, I bought a Trek 4900 hard tail, had no idea if I would like it or not. I loved it from the beginning. In about a month I updated to a Mars Elite from shock, Hutchinson Aligator tires, Thudbuster seat post, Ritchey Clipless pedals, and a Selle Flite seat. And then about 2 months later I went from riding every day to 2 times a week to finally hardly at all. I tried to get back in to it this year but have convinced my self a road bike would work better for me. If a few guys I know heard me say that road bike part I would get an ear full. I am just glad I didnt spend $450 for the new wheels I wanted.

bouncing check 11-19-2003 11:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Trek Liquid 20 here.Does it all

Clay Washington 11-20-2003 01:35 AM

LMAO! Nope, but I have phked her in the truck, on the boat, on the Harley... :D

Sydwayz 11-20-2003 02:40 AM

I have a brand new Giant that I bought this year. I am not INTO it, into it, but I do like messing around and local trails.

PhantomChaos 11-20-2003 06:36 AM

:D :D :D :D Too funny!