Notices

J Leno's new bike

Old 11-21-2003, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The old man is retaining so much water he looks like a big ole cactus!!!
Old 11-21-2003, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Miller,
You're right, the way you are currently training it would be impossible for you to throw on some big muscle mass. I lift for about 90 minutes five days a week. During those 90 minutes I may only do 16-18 sets with no more than six reps per set. I can lift a hell of a lot of weight, but I would probably fall over dead if had to run two or three miles. By contrast, in high school I held a state record in distance running and I was always at the top in 400m swimming competition. It all boils down to what you are conditioning your body for. You are correct that genetics play a big roll in an individuals ability to build muscle mass, as does age. During the first two or three years that I started lifting (for mass), I put on about 40 lb., most of it was muscle. Since then I'm lucky to gain 4 solid pounds per year. I did this without taking any drugs or supplements. By contrast a thirty year old friend started lifting with me a couple years ago and I'd say he's up about 20 lb. He is training at my intensity under my same schedule. I really doubt he will ever see the gains I did and my guess is it's mainly do to genetics.

Can someone get big w/o taking drugs? Absolutely! A friend of mine is incredibly large (6' 1" and 275 lb.), all drug free. Granted he's been lifting for about 16 years, but he's clean. I use to get really upset when people would say that I'm using steroids. It took A LOT of hard work to get to where I am now and it pissed me off that people couldn't respect that. Now I look at it as a compliment. People just automatically assume that if a person is very muscular, he must be using steroids. Up a certain point that's just not always the case. Yes, top level bodybuilders are taking huge quantities of everything that can dream up. There is a huge difference in body fat between Paul Sr. (25+% ?) and some pro bodybuilder (<5%), even though they may be nearly identical in height and weight! I've done a lot of playing around with my body fat levels. It's amazing how much strength and muscle mass you loss when you drop body fat. The more fat you have the easier it is to build muscle mass. Look at Paul's face and chin. He carries a lot of fat all over. The thing that Paul Sr. doesn't have is a huge spare tire around his waist... but you sure as hell aren't ever going to see his abs either! Everyone carries their body fat differently, in Paul Sr. case it's more flattering that most men with the same amount of body fat. I don't think he's on the juice. He looks like he's played with some GH in his day, and probably been pounding the weights pretty hard for many years.

Supplements? I have tried most of the OTC stuff you mentioned (protein powder, creatine, andro, hgh...) and I've found most of it to be a big waste of money. Of all of them, I've only noticed results taking creatine. This stuff does make a SLIGHT difference, but I've stopped taking it for health concerns. Like steroids, the creatine seems to make your body carry excess water but to a lesser extent. It does have some short term side effects and I'd bet long term effects will start popping up within the near future. I'll be amazed if it's still on the market ten years from now. Anyway, most of the supplements on the market are snake oil. You'd never know it by the $$$ spent on these products each year, but just about all of it is useless. People love to take shortcuts. They think if they spend $200 dollars a month on supplements, they too look like the guy on the bottle. Wrong. The only way to put on real size is to train hard (and properly) and let your body heal by resting. It takes an incredible amount of hard work, time, and dedication. Even these guys that look like freaks just don't get the credit they deserve. I don't care what drugs they're taking, it takes some serious work and discipline to get that big.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How tall is Paul Sr.? I've known short guys that look like Ahnold in pic's, but they're really ptetty small in stature, making everything else look bigger. I'll bet he's no taller than 5'11" maybe 6'.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:33 PM
Registered

I'll bet Paul Sr can kick any of your butts anytime.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyway you look at it, the guy's funny as hell when he gets worked up!

"What was was and what is is and..."
Old 11-21-2003, 11:38 PM
Xtreme Cooler Test Dumby
Platinum Member

Like stated above....Paul is a big fella BUT If you ask him to take a little jog it's all over. He's the tipe of guy you have to stay infront of, way infront of. Just a little tid-bit- I have a good buddy that can rep 425 EIGHT times. I use to have a pic of him benching. You can clearly see a slight bow in the bar. HOLY chit! One night we went to a little get together, some idiot started to run his trap and BAMMO. The next thing I saw was the fella floppin' around on the floor. My friend hit the guy in the side of the noggin with ONE Left Hook. The poor bastard had to get 47 stiches. His ear was kinda of hangin....etc. etc. This guy is an animal. The thing that makes him so nasty is his speed. He is 6'3 240ish and without a doubt he is the fastest "big guy" I've ever seen in person. A brutal combo Sorry to ramble.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:08 AM
Registered

I agree that you can get big without the roids but it is hard. Do I think Sr. did that,, no. I think at some time he used a little help. He admitted on one show that his past was full of chemical abuses that he now regrets. Would not surprise me that roids was one of them. For the record, I am 6' 230lbs and all natural. By no means am I the biggest or strongest. Yeah I can stand to loose some body fat but that will happen in time. If I was able to go to the gym on a regular basis it would happen faster. I am lucky in that I have good genetics to put on body mass, muscle mass, easily. That is what I think is the biggest difference. The type of training helps but you need the genetics. Paul Sr. and Jr. both have that. You can tell by lookin at them.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 137 Likes on 83 Posts

gdftha, relax.
(I'm really only a tight 36 to loose 38 pant size)