Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Who makes all wheel drive cars??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/64564-who-makes-all-wheel-drive-cars.html)

Waterfoul 11-24-2003 05:49 PM

Who makes all wheel drive cars???

As I am going to sell my boat and take a few years off to be a bonified "boat whore," I won't need my truck for towing. BUT, I have a long drive to work every day in all kinds of weather, and I've been driving 4 wheel drive vehicles (trucks) since 1990 and don't want to give it up.

I know Subaru and Audi make all wheel drive vehicles. I will have to buy used to keep it affordable. Anyone have any recomendations? Anyone have an all wheel drive car they can give me an opinion on???

'Foul

G-Force 11-24-2003 05:56 PM

I've seen a Mini-van that was AWD....Chrysler?
If you don't want to go that route :D they aslo made the Talon AWD as well....

Waterfoul 11-24-2003 05:59 PM

would rather have a sedan sized car. Or a small SUV (something that gets decent mileage). I still want to be able to tow my fishing boat (maybe 1000 lbs total weight).

NO MINI-VANS!!!!

RollWithIt 11-24-2003 05:59 PM

The old Eclipse had an all wheel drive version. BMW also has an version but it is newer and would be expensive. Best bet is to go with Audi or Subaru.

dockrocker 11-24-2003 06:00 PM

Mike, I'll sell you a 2003 Jaguar 2.5 X-type, awd, great in winter and everyone thinks you're loaded :) Only 10K miles - $25K. Only one problem - it's so nice on the road that you tend to, *ahem*, exceed the posted limit. A lot. ;)

G-Force 11-24-2003 06:05 PM

Crap...what was I thinking?
My 1995 Jeep Cherokee Limited is AWD...least wise it doesn't even have a 2WD option so I assume it's AWD.

Sydwayz 11-24-2003 06:05 PM

VW now has AWD on the Passat, as well as Volvo on the S60.

Also, I would suggest just an S-10 Blazer to beat on for a couple years. I loved mine.

MitchStellin 11-24-2003 06:06 PM

The Jeep Grand Cherokee is AWD. The Olds Bravada and the chevy blazer/trail sport have that option.

Holy Smokes 11-24-2003 06:16 PM

How about the Mercedes 4-matic models? Decently priced older models and hold their resale as good as any.

Waterfoul 11-24-2003 06:17 PM

Really not sure I want a bigger American SUV like the blazer. I would lean towards one of the "other" makers because they get better mileage. Remember, I have a 56 mile commute every day. I'm tired of truck mileage, and the American SUV's aren't known for their mileage.

I like the looks of the new Kia SUV. Tows 2000 lbs, and gets 25 mpg or so. And I could almost afford a new one of those.

BUT, I'm still leaning towards a sedan of some sort. Guess I should just go out and drive some??