Like Tree0Likes

Fist Fight on Key West Poker Run

Old 11-24-2003, 10:12 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1987 38 Cigarette

I stopped by the awards party on Sunday, and Stu looked fine, he was giving out trophies and was conducting the events as normal.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:15 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2001 Top Gun T/S, 2002 Gladiator

................everybody was kung foo fighting.....
Old 11-24-2003, 10:28 PM
Registered

My Boats: Building diesel power wanting a hull

I saw that poker run on the travel channel.... The guy that runs that show gets a little authority and abuses it. I'm used to the TOPPS poker run which is more of a free for all. If I had the money I would go down there and follow that poker run acting rowdy and causing chaos with that dude.
He is too strict and for what they say the entry fee is in that run you should be able to do as you please.

Ernie
Old 11-25-2003, 08:27 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: Cigarette CC and Boston Whaler currently

Quote:
Originally posted by d-hlaw
................everybody was kung foo fighting.....
......Them cats were fast as lightning........

Old 11-25-2003, 09:20 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

I agree with Troutly. Play by the rules or don't play at all. Now there's nothing wrong with preferences when choosing the events you attend and what it is you want to get out of them. All that being said, a mature adult organizing anything shouldn't be using derogatory whup-a$$ kind of language when addressing another type A+ personality powerboat owner. If so, speaker beware the potential consequences in whatever fashion they arise.....I know here in the HRPA, the fists are flying constantly.....
Old 11-25-2003, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer

I've seen the travel channel show also a few times. Stu may have been a bit harsh, but it was like the second or third time he had to tell those two to knock off the nonesense.

Let's face it, we don't always exactly have the best reputation out there and aren't always held in the highest regards by many boaters.

Stu runs a classy, respectful show and there are certain encumberances which he must overcome to organize a large event like he has. A few bad apples can quickly degrade the whole event and experience by not following rules and being not being courteous when deemed necessary.

It probably started in much the same way...
Old 11-25-2003, 10:41 AM
Registered

My Boats: 31 Jupiter w/ 300 VRods

I agree with Troutly and Baja Daze,
I have been on several Poker runs with Stu. I donít necessarily agree with his language but he is the coordinator and he is in charge. When you sign up for one of his events he makes the rules clear before you go! He has been doing these events for a long time and is trying to keep it safe. I personally have never seen Stu get on anyone that did not have it coming. Including myself.

I have seen all kinds of crazy stuff on Poker Runs that endanger the environment, passengers, boats and more importantly my crew. Between the adrenaline and alcohol people can get out of control and need some sort of control.

I boat a few times a year in the Keys and one of the reasons I go with the FPC is because it is an organized and safe way to enjoy the Keys. Most of the people I have met through the FPC have been great people that I fell comfortable boating with at high speeds and I consider them my friends. Occasionally you run into an arrogant guy who doesnít want to follow any type of rules or common sense and put everyone at risk.

At the end of the day, if something bad happens it will be remembered as a FPC event not an individual boater getting out of control.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 2006 Formula 400SS

I have been on 3 Key West Poker runs with the FPC.
Can you imagine trying to control 100 boats, and the huge egos that go along with them? The rules must be followed to allow everyone to arrive safely and without damage to the boats. For a few guys to try and do whatever they want puts all of the members in danger.
Stu makes the rules perfectly clear in the drivers meetings, and warns that if you don't follow the rules, you will be dropped from the run, as well as any future runs. He has been doing these runs for a long time, and knows what he is doing. I hope the other members that witnessed this incident stood up for him!
"TEAM HURRICANE" Florida Powerboat Club

Last edited by FormulaFan; 11-26-2003 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:25 AM
Registered

My Boats: Donzi Sweet 16

Ernie,

I must disagree with you as well. Everyone's safety is ultimately in Stu's hands and if someone jeopardizes the safety of others, he has every right to reprimand them or ban them from attending his runs.

The New Jersey Powerboat Club had a run here on Long Island which was disrupted in much the same way. They will never attempt to produce another run here on LI and I think that is a shame.

This is a very immature and irresponible attitude to have regarding high perfomance runs...and it's that type of attitude which gives all hi-performance powerboaters a bad name.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:27 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2011-43 Nor-Tech 1025's

I saw Stu Saturday night and he looked fine. That was my first poker run and I had a blast. I couldn't imagine the time and effort it takes to run a show that way with so many people, I am looking forward to the next one.

I would like to say "Thank you to Stu and the people that work for him.... Bravo"!!!

Oh...by the way, I hope that wasn't the guys best punch!!!!!!!!

zzie