Notices

Stereo? Im confused.

Old 12-01-2003, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo? Im confused.

Looking at best buy today (can get a good discount from a friend) I give up, what do I want in a head unit? 50x4? I have 4 regular pioneer speakers, want to hook up subs and an amp soon. I guess I need the RCA outputs? Security...like the security from Eclipse, but dont have the money. I have an alarm, will have to figure it out. Have maybe 300$ for the head unit. Any suggestions?
Old 12-01-2003, 03:31 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 515 Posts

Tommy, I think I have something for you.

My sister had a very high end, but older stereo stolen out of her Nissan. When State Farm wrote up specs and send new parts, they sent us two head units. 1st head unit was great, and sold, Alpine, 50x4, removeable face CD.

Second head unit was never ever openned, and sat for a few months. Well, we went to sell it on eBay, and delivered it (locally), come to find out that Alpine MISPACKAGED this unit, with the correct faceplate and and remote, and such, for the Alpine, 50x4, HOWEVER, the HU is actually the higher end PRE-AMP RCA outputs only unit. The thing works fine, as it was bench checked by an installer. It is hard to accurately represent and sell on eBay this 'mismatched' brand new piece. I know the unit as speced lists for $400. If you want full specs, let me know, and I will get them for you. Its yours for $225. Its just a slightly different faceplate with green illumination instead of blue. All function is the same. If you get it, and anything is wrong, 100% refund.

Brian

Last edited by Sydwayz; 12-01-2003 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:33 PM
Registered

If you could send me a picture of it, and some specs, that would be great. Also, what does everything mean?
Old 12-01-2003, 03:40 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 515 Posts

If you get a stereo that is 50x4, it will have 4 individual outs for 4 speakers, and will have Fade and Balance control. Not neccesary to have an amplifier/crossover for use.

If you get a stereo with ONLY PRE-AMP outs, it will probably have two sets of RCA outs, (Front and Rear), and will REQUIRE an amplifier/crossover.

Some stereos have both.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Hyper look at something with 3 sets of rca's. If you plan of adding an amp dont worry about the 40x4 and such. Also see if the pre outs are of 3 to 5 volts. with the 3 rca's you get front rear and a sub out. A detach is enough security if instaled right. I would recommend something with a remote, plays cd's and cdr's. Just keep the receipt in a good area at home incase somebody likes it better than you! In my shop we carried the pioneer and panasonic line. The eclipses are nice but over priced for what you can get in the others.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:36 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I put a JVC in my boat this spring....and actually got to listen to it a few times before the motor puked. I like this unit. Has speaker power if you want it, plus 3 RCS's out (front, rear, sub). I don't use the speaker leads as I'm running two amps (one for speakers, one for the subs). The remote is easy to use, and works well. This unit sounds awsome. I got it as a non-box item, works great, looks like new, just no box.

I had a Kenwood before this, and wasn't really happy with it. I still have it, works fine, just didn't like the way it operated (and the remote buttons are really small). This one only had 2 RCA's, making the sub application tougher. Look for a unit with 3 outs.

'Foul
Old 12-01-2003, 07:26 PM
Registered

With 3 RCA outs, do I have to run an amp to the speakers? What is better about this than running it from the deck?
Old 12-01-2003, 07:35 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Deck power is not very clean... think about how big a deck is, and it's producing 200 watts power in some cases? Not very well it isn't. Amp power is much cleaner and can be run at lower ohm levels for better sound reproduction. I have a system in my truck that doesn't use the 25x4 internal amp either. But it sounds great.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:42 PM
Registered

Running mids and highs from an amp rather than the head unit I have found sounds much better. Then of course you need a decent amp to produce the sound quality.
I currently have an unused Kenwood KDC-4022 that 2 RCA pre-outs w/ 50 X 4 watts that was intended for my dually. Have all the components, plus an Alpine V12 5 channel amp. Good for quality. I never installed the stereo because one boat motor had to be rebuit, which stopped me from doing my Poker Runs this summer and thus the truck became unneccessary.
Anyway the head unit is Sirius Satelite ready w/ remote plus CD-MD changer controls. I am leaving the country in a few weeks and this stuff will never get used. I'll let it go for $275 if you are interested. I have had many systems in many cars, earning several trophys all while using Kenwood head units. They are just the ones thta I prefer.
Let me know if you are interested with that or any other equiptment I have.
Thought I might throw in that I also just bought a JL 12W-3 only used for @ 2 weeks and sold car that I used it in powered by a Kenwood 4 or 501 single chanel sub amp. All could be had very cheap.

Either way good luck.....

OB21
Old 12-01-2003, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A L P I N E

Quick Reply: Stereo? Im confused.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.