Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Pulling 45' Sonic with Excusion ,NJ to FL. Any thoughts ? >

Pulling 45' Sonic with Excusion ,NJ to FL. Any thoughts ?

Notices

Pulling 45' Sonic with Excusion ,NJ to FL. Any thoughts ?

Old 11-25-2003, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stock tires are "E" rated so unless they have been changed you are ok there. I would add a cooler and airbags and you will be ok. You need a hose bag also It is a long ride and you don't want to have to take your hand off the wheel
Old 11-25-2003, 05:49 PM
Registered

Don't forget..........the 542 FasTECH

Old 11-25-2003, 06:13 PM
Registered

I think I would have to recomend against that. That boat just needs a long dually for that job. I pull my 42 Sonic around town with a smaller truck, but I would NEVER try to go over the road with it. Just my two cents.
Attached Thumbnails Pulling 45' Sonic with Excusion ,NJ to FL. Any thoughts ?-pa150013.jpg  

Last edited by Madcow; 11-26-2003 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:23 PM
Registered

Talking

Love that new 542 "FasTECH"
Old 11-25-2003, 06:34 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Nice stretch job Nort!!

The PSD 'X' is one helluva tow machine, but as most enthusiasts of the vehicle know, it requires a little modification from its stock form to make it that way- most of which are not expensive at all.

Mitch is right- they come with 'E' rated tires, but this started in 2003. Earlier models to year 2K have the D's - adequate for most towing apps. The original Firestones suck on anything but dry pavement!

Front springs on all the 'X's were inadequate- the distance from the spring to the frame was less than desirable. Mine were replaced under warranty with 'U' code springs, which made the truck perfectly level.

Rear air bags such as Ride Rites are a must with a boat that size to keep the vehicle level (I'm sure the tongue weight is substantial.)

Class V hitch will have to be done custom- the stock hitch is classified by Ford as part of the sub-frame and uses special hardened rivets to fasten it to the frame, not bolts. There are no after-market hitches listed in any catalog from any mfg. for this vehicle- they didn't want the liability (I researched this with all of them). I think Nort will testify that it can be done, however....
The stock unit looks almost identical to several of the aftermarkets' top hitches though: it's a stout piece.

Brakes are about the same as the F250- I've had to change out rotors once under warranty, and if needed again, I will go with aftermarket units. This truck weighs over 8000 pounds fully loaded and fueled- and is a load to get stopped in itself, let alone a boat like that on the back. I hope the trailer is well equipped, and if you decide to tow that monster down there, give everyone a wide berth. The engine is certainly up to the task.

Trans- well that's a toss-up with all the mfg's with diesel- I've known folks that tow that have had problems with all of the big three car makers diesel truck trannies, especially when running a chip. Mine has held together fine so far, but what do I know- I'm only towing a little 28' Thunder.....

Last edited by jafo; 11-25-2003 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:56 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would just be real carefull and take your time. Better to get there late then not at all. Trip should get easier as you go south and I would get off the road at rush hour.

Jon
Old 11-25-2003, 07:21 PM
Registered

Do the math on the GCVWR and such. I kind of think you will be overloaded. I realize that it can be done, but I would worry about liability if you were in an accident. Would your insurance company back you up, or jack you up?
Old 11-25-2003, 07:49 PM
Registered

Mucho over......(2003) I think the older ones had lower GCVWR, but not sure.

Old 11-25-2003, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wouldn't worry much. Pulled 12,000# excavator on 6500# trailer from Dallas to Atlanta with 2000 7.3 2wd excursion with no problem. Had a trans. temp. gauge and showed no problems either.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:06 PM
Double Tap

I use a 2000 X V10 to haul my 2 car trailer (13k-15k loaded) cross country to different car shows for my company. Pulls great. I had to go with Art carved rotors the stock one's keeped warping in the mountains. I would recomend pumping up the tires to 60lb or above. Lots of sway under 60lb. Mine came new with E rated tires. As far as the engine and trans I'm over 100k/ 300+ cars towed with no problems.

Last edited by Double Tap; 11-25-2003 at 08:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Pulling 45' Sonic with Excusion ,NJ to FL. Any thoughts ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.