Notices

FloScan Anyone Using?

Old 11-26-2003, 09:14 PM
Lucky

Question FloScan Anyone Using?

Hey Everyone,

Is anyone using a floscan fuel measureing device to find the sweet spot for fuel consumption and to measure how many gallons of gas they have gone through?

Looking for comments on installation on a new 496HO

Thanks,
Dave

Old 11-26-2003, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Awesome quality product. Have installed 2 systems in my boats myself...years of troublefree priceless info, and accurate to 1 gallon on 100 gallons in my last boat for 7 years for me. Will be doing install to 496 HO's myself early spring. It's really a very straightforward install. I think there's only 7 wires...just need to buy enough insulated multi-conductor cable to go from engine room to instrument location. I will never be without one in a boat for long. There are many useful ways you'll use the info!
Old 11-26-2003, 10:17 PM
Mike J

Been using them for years with
no problems.
Works best for 2 motors to be
able to see if one motor is
not running right.
Use one sensor for each motor
with duel needles.
Mike J.

Old 11-26-2003, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a dual Floscan and love it
Old 11-26-2003, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have dual flo-scans on my Top Gun and love them. I even had a sensor go bad out of the warranty period and they sent me a new one at half price!!!
Old 11-26-2003, 10:56 PM
Registered

Seems to be a couple owners out there. Let me ask you...when was the last time you've spilled gas at a fill-up? NOT When was the last time you took the time to get fuel when you KNEW you had enough gas to make a regular destination and back without it? NOT Generally only fill-up when empty, saving valuable liesure time, and putting the boat in less danger from fuel dock rash, other customers, spilt fuel, or worse? YES Am I hittin' 'em close? Another benefit is the stress relief from watching the gallons side of the pump as a habit, not the dollars side.
Old 11-27-2003, 02:02 AM
Lucky

Yes definately getting one and having it installed while Sunsation builds my new boat.

Should be great. I am tired of gasing up when I THINK I can make it out and back but I don't actually KNOW.

Plus with this new big 496HO I want to be able to run at the fuel efficient mark instead of wasting fuel.

Thanks,

Old 11-27-2003, 03:52 PM
Registered

If you get one factory installed, keep in mind that you will have to calibrate the meter head over the first couple tanks of fuel. Fill up under as identical circumstances as possible the first couple tanks. Compare what it takes to fill it, and compare to totalizer. The back of the meter head has 2, 4, 6% and over/under switches. Use these to get a tight cal! I usually shoot for 1-3% OVER actual burn for a small safety margin. I'm not kidding about the ~1% accuracy on my last install. Ray out there said is was as tight a final cal as he had heard of. Be sure to use the "air traps" up high/after sensor/before carb or fuel rail, these enhance accuracy. They are standard in 50GPH applications I think.
Old 11-27-2003, 04:02 PM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with MikeJ. I have used them on many boats. Another thing to consider is have knock meters installed at the same time. But make sure they are the good ones
Old 11-28-2003, 03:30 PM
Lucky

Thanks Guys,

I will calibrate carefully and have copied and pasted your hints to give to factory on sensor placement etc.

Also, Sean what are knock meters?

PS I assume the 496HO needs premium gas?

Dave