Notices

Agent Needed

Old 11-28-2003, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Agent Needed

I'm thinking about buying a boat and shipping it over to the UK. Does anyone know an agent who could close the deal on my behalf, plus arrange the transport and shipping? Honesty and reliability are paramount, but I need someone who also isn't gonna rip me off for what is essentially making a bunch of phone calls.
Boat could be anywhere(still looking), but likely to be in NY or FL.
Many Thanks
Matt
Old 11-28-2003, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Miami is the better option. All yacht-specific transports like Sevenstar and Wainwright call in Florida, Port Everglades usually. Otherwise you will have to ship your boat as loose freight aboard a cargo ship. Not only is it usually more expensive but your boat will be beaten up. Cargo personnel are used to dealing with containers which are not as fragile as outdrives, windshields, 30K paintjobs... This is providing your boat does not fit in a standard 40' container and they usually don't because anything over approx. 7' wide does not. So, as far as transport is concerned, check Sevenstar, Wainwright Bros. or Dock Express on the internet. I have their phones somewhere but you'll have to give me some time for that, my office is not that orderly... Although the most popular transport routes are from Miami to Palma in Spain, South of France, or Genoa I think you'll be able to find something going to Le Havre which is close enough to UK. That's concerning transport. As far as closing the deal is concerned, I strongly suggest that you take some time off and do it yourself. Get an agent to narrow down your search to about half a dozen boats and then go on location, inspect each one and make a deal on the selected one. Nobody can negotiate price and conditions on your behalf as well as you can simply because nobody knows your tastes, needs and preferences as well as you do. And while there are plenty of honest people out there, don't be surprised if your purchased dry-sump #6s somehow mutate into wet-sumps at some point between Miami and UK. Use an agent as a search engine but be there to close the deal, all the way until the boat is ready for loading and most importantly, insured. Which agent you use pretty much depends on what kind of boat you want. My advice is: see a guy who specializes in the type of boat you want. Guys who do all types from sportfishers to performance boats, house boats and pontoons could be good at all of those but never really excell. Good luck!
Old 11-28-2003, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi cat. I'm the same matt as on boatmad.
Not found a boat yet am trying to get all my facts & figures straight to check it's worth doing before I set my heart on anything.

What are typical shipping costs like within the US, for example I did find a boat in Ohio or NY and needed to get it transported to FL to catch a ship, assuming it's 30' and 8000# for example.
Thanks
Matt
Old 11-29-2003, 05:37 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Somewhere in the $1.50 per mile range.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:12 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 25 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe the boat can be shipped out of NY/NJ terminal...... We have boats delivered there all the time for us to pick up..