Notices

Box Anchors

Old 12-01-2003, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Box Anchors

looking to see if anybody has experience with box anchors? What is your opinion and experience with them? Also how small do they fold up and what do they weigh??
Old 12-01-2003, 12:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts
Thumbs up

I have one and love it!! No chain, just throw it in the water and forget about it. I have never had to mess with it. They fold up flat and go in a bag aand fit under the seat. i think their website is slideanchor.com
Old 12-01-2003, 12:53 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Garshev, I have one.
Had it for two seasons now and have never used it.
I was told it works great from rocky hard bottoms.
I will find out this coming season how well it sets with our MN lake bottoms

Btw, what part of MN do you live and boat in?
Old 12-01-2003, 01:21 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I have the medium size one, and have had 5 boats rafted with just that one anchor for a period of time. We threw other anchors only to keep us from spinning. (This was in the Potomac River.) This is the ONLY anchor I would trust for overnighting, as even if it were to get ripped loose, it will set itself again right away. The only time I ever had it come loose was in VERY loose mud, that when you stood in it, you sank up to your mid-thigh. I do not know of any anchor short of an SBC that would hold in that. I highly recommend the box anchor, and storage and folding is not much of a pain. They usually pull up some sand/mud when you life them, but it is worth dealing with. I have had it set in 80 feet of water, with only 100 feet of rope, and you do not need a chain. If your boat is 30 feet or less, and you primarily only anchor yourself, I would go for small. to be on safe side, I went with medium because I had room to store it easily under back seat.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:23 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I have used one for three years. I got fed up with my Fortress that people swear by on this site, but was nothing but junk in my mind. The box anchor set FIRST TIME, EVERY TIME for me no matter what the bottom was. It never came loose when the wind direction changed like the Danforth style would. Craig223 is correct, no chain required...set it and forget it (sounds like a Ron Popiel commercial LOL). I wouldn't hesitate to get one if I were you. The one drawback is that it is heavy, I had the large size for a single 28' Nordic, and I think it was overkill. The small would have been just fine.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:13 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

I have the small box anchor. I bought it for my Formula (4000 lbs.) and kept it when I sold it. We usually only anchor in the Potomac, which is a sandy bottom. The first time that I used it with the Bullet (10000 lbs), we had three other boats rafted up to us without anchors and it was good to go!!! Sydwayz, you were one of them rafted off.

Craig
Old 12-02-2003, 01:26 AM
Registered

I have been using one for 4 years and it has never broke loose yet. Like others have said drop it and forget it, and no chain to mess with.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang. I wondering the same thing about the box. I have a fortress and it's a pain in the ass to put together and take apart.

I think I'll buy a box this winter. Anchor that is
Old 12-02-2003, 07:50 AM
Registered

I had always used a Fortress with my 27'. It held fine but a pain to store and the chain was worse.

I'm buying a 38' and was wondering how the box would hold it when achored for camping?

I have the shore spike made by Box Anchor and love it.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:18 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

It's simple, effective, and self-resetting if it does break free for a moment. I got the one for up to 30' boats and it has worked great, but I wish I had gotten the next size up due to the strong currents we encounter here at a couple of the favorite raftup spots from tide change. If I'm the anchor man in a raftup my current one will break free with a couple of others tied up. But in gentle currents or standing water with only wind to consider, it's rock solid. Go ahead and get one. You go up in size, but you won't go back...

Quick Reply: Box Anchors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.