Notices

Lake Ozark Info

Old 12-01-2003, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kind of thought that too. I can stay here and launch on Lake Michigan for that excitment.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:12 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Originally posted by Troutly
6-7 average??? 12 foot hole!? Awwwww come on!

I've been at LOTO a few times a year since 1997 and have hit every major weekend more then once....aint ever seen a real measured 7 foot wave, let alone a 12 foot hole .

Think about it, the bridge clearance on most v-hull performance boats is in the 5 to 6 foot range off plane. You are then talking an AVERAGE wave height higher then the top of most performance boats windshields...and a 12 ft'r is only a couple feet short of the height of a semi trailer.....

Yes, it gets rough, but that is more due to the washing machine effect of the rock walls and boats going every which way. You will see a lot of actual 3 to 4 foot waves. There are the occasional 5 to 6 footer in between P C and the bridge, but there is no way they even come close to 6 to 7 foot average.

I guess my memory was based on the water coming out of the cove. It was also a little tongue in cheek. Holes? Hell yea! We have a video of Gordo running where he dropped into a hole and everybody gasps when they see it. Now my hole was really a rogue. I was pulling off plane next to a cruiser that was doing the same. That one was big/steep enough for the bow to pierce the face. The wave came over the top of the boat and soaked everybody. It also put 6" of water into the bilge. I've been in 6' water, and that was no 6' wave. I guess the biggest problem with measuring the water at loto is that the waves are not repetitious, instead you have this washing machine water. How do you measure the wave height when it has no valley or peak? Maybe it's the steepness of the wave that is of more significane than their height. Now if you are questioning my ability to measure wave height, are you going to next question the length of Mr. Winky, 'cause there is no way he's any less than 2'!
Old 12-01-2003, 05:20 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

CORD, anything like that wave you hit out on the Mississippi? YIKES, I thought for sure you or the boat was hurt. . . that was crazy
Old 12-01-2003, 05:33 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Originally posted by hp500efi
CORD, anything like that wave you hit out on the Mississippi? YIKES, I thought for sure you or the boat was hurt. . . that was crazy
Na...that was just fun! That was back when the engine was cutting out due to the floats being saturated. The engine did cut out after that one. I don't think I ever had the engine die at LOTO, but it did come very close a couple of times. Now if you want air, you should have seen the one that I hit with the old Concord on Michigan. Foul told me that I had 3' below the skeg!

Originally posted by Troutly
2'.....AROUND!!!
Damn straight!
Old 12-01-2003, 05:40 PM
Registered

Tnks
Old 12-01-2003, 05:43 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I was with Cord when he stuffed his cat on LOTO. It was a big wave, but 12'?? Probably not. But I will say, we were all SOAKED!!! As was the motor, the bilge, the interior, our clothes, etc...

And concerning the "big air" Tim got with his Concord, it was at LEAST 3' of air under the skeg launching off a cruiser wake. I was running right next to him and only hopped over the wake in my true deep v!! Just remember, later that day the Cord sank!!!!! DOH!!!

'Foul
Old 12-01-2003, 06:20 PM
rpusillo

I just moved to Perdido Key, FL two years ago from the LOTO area. The life style and hot boat enthusiasts are everywhere! The water is a washing machine experience when the lake is busy. The support people are all over the lake area and the distance from one end to another is 40 to 60 miles. I have personally road at 75-80-95 mph on a mirror! You will be blown away! The water patrol is narcotics focused and lethal about it!
They ride in high performance rigs and scope out in hiding. The real fun is pulling into one of dozens of lakeside bars and restaurants and park amongst dozens of blow your clothes off boats!

Old 12-01-2003, 06:25 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

And there you have it folks....
Old 12-01-2003, 06:29 PM
Registered

RP....Tnks, thats what I needed to hear. How do you compare to Fla? I lived on the west coast for 6 yr when I was young and had no money (still don't). Have considered returning but not real happy with saltwater and it sounds like they are really cracking the go-fast crowd down there.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:05 PM
rpusillo

Perdido Key is next to Orange Beach and only a long days drive from LOTO. Thanks to Gary Nichols, Orange Beach is quickly becoming hot boat center of the Universe! The salt water issue can be answered by watching all the boats racing in offshore. The fresh water lakes are high maintenance when it comes to winterizing and junk in the water ( garbage, trees, floating ufo's) alot of cleaning. So what's new about any of that? The comparison to the Emerald Coast is 12 months of boating, insted of 6 to 8, maybe 9. The diving is great here and that was one of my other interests.

Quick Reply: Lake Ozark Info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.