Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   O/T Any advice on US citizenship? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/65113-o-t-any-advice-us-citizenship.html)

robyw1 12-01-2003 08:08 PM

O/T Any advice on US citizenship?

1 Attachment(s)
I was wondering if anyone here had any experience on the proper channels to apply for a US citizenship. I have a dear friend that lives in England that very much wants to become a United States citizen. She is a hard worker and feels her potential is limited in the UK. She flew down over Thanksgiving to visit and to be with me for the imminent passing of my father. She was married to a US citizen but it was an abusive marriage in which she had to get out of. With the divorce she had to return to the UK. If anyone here happens to have any advice you could offer it would be greatly appreciated. Of course I realize these things take time but for now I’m going to clear everything off my desk and focus on whatever it takes for her to become a citizen.

Thanks
Roby

Payton 12-01-2003 08:32 PM

I give her a lot of credit. A lot of people simply come here and enjoy all that we have to offer in this country and never really become a part of it. My family came here 2 and 3 generations ago. I don't know what the steps actually are, but I would imagine you could do a Google search and find all sorts of information.

Good luck!

Audiofn 12-01-2003 08:40 PM

It is NOT easy... Especially now with all the BS going on in the world :(. At any rate I had a friend that was trying to get in and the first thing that he had to do was get a sponsor. In his case his sponsor was Fidelity. The sponsor ussually will be a large company and they some times have lawers that can help out. My father has worked to do this a number of times with people out of Canada and I will ask him if he has any advice. Best of luck to you.

Jon

impulsive 12-01-2003 08:54 PM

I was going to sponsor 2 of my employees before 9-11. After 9-11 , this became next to impossible. I'm still working on it and hopefully it will happen. These guys are great employees and people. I completely agree with the government crackdown on immigration after 9-11. However, it really hurts people like this. All they wana do is work and get paid. These guys sometimes work 80 hour weeks and don't complain a bit. I have to make them take a day off. I"m sure i'll take some heat for this comment , but there needs to be a little bit of racial profiling in this country. There was only one nationality involved in that horrific day, and we should not punish all immigrants for the actions of a few a$$holes. just my .02

US1 Fountain 12-01-2003 08:57 PM

Couldn't you just marry her? Just wondering if it works that way.

Frequency 12-01-2003 10:02 PM

An employer sponsored work permit is the best way to start. The number of permits available for 2004 is down considerably.

The usual employer cost for sponsorship is $1500 - $2500. Rates have been temporarily reduced, so your best bet is to get her over here and find someone to sponsor her ASAP.

fatdaddy 12-01-2003 11:51 PM

Immigration law is not my specialty but I do know a little about it. First of all, it is not citizenship that bshe needs, it is residency; i.e. legal resident alien, you know, a green card. As aforementioned, things are very tight now. "Sponsor" or work contract app.'s can only be taken while the person is living abroad and can take many many years. The quickest and cheapest is marriage to a US citizen. Contcat an immigration atty.

cobra marty 12-02-2003 04:24 AM

My wife is from England. Call an Immigration lawyer.
She can come here as a tourist and basically live here forever on vacation but will not be able to work.
She can marry a US citizen and apply for alien resident and then you have to go again after 2 years to prove you are still married and get a 'green' card which is really pink. Proof is all wedding related pictures-certificate, invitations, honeymoon receipts, etc. 2 years later need to see her name on bills, mortgage/lease, drivers license, etc. She will get a working soc sec # and be able to work here in the states.
She must come here as a tourist first and then get married here. If she marries in England then the groom must come here and petition for her which takes 6-12 months while she stays there.
If she is pregnant and comes over to visit on vacation and gives birth here then the baby is a US citizen and may petition for mom to live here. People reportedly will when in labor jump the fence of the US Embasy and give birth to the baby on 'US soil' and hence the baby will be a US citizen.
Marry her with an iron clad prenup, apply for alien resident, stay 'together' for 2-3 years, apply for citizenship, then divorce.

open87 12-02-2003 07:00 AM

she's a good looking woman. and last time i remembered, i thought this was AMERICA . land of opportunity. if i were in that situation and really cared for her , i would marry her to get her here. do what has to be done , if the time frame is 2 years ,that's not alot of time. divorce and she is here for good on her own after that. but , if you are currently married , that could through a wrench in it. best of luck........:)

robyw1 12-08-2003 03:05 PM

I really appreciate the advice you all. I think we got it figured out

Thanks
Roby :)