Notices

torque V12

Old 08-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
Last I heard, Brad Smith and Tyson Garvin have the blocks now.
I can confirm this to be true.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excellent thread

I would love to see a v12 in a boat, What this thread brings to my mind is that somewhere at some time most of these ideas probably came from someone sitting in their garage trying to figure out how to get more power out of what they have. An excellent example of this kind of thinking & doing is the Speedway museum in Lincoln,Ne. The founder of Speedway motors built a museum to house his collection of just about everything automotive & it will blow your mind. Everything from backyard home built blowers & turbos to indy car engines that made history. Admission is free but by appointment only, If anyone on OSO is cruising through the area I would highly urge you to make an appointment & take a couple of hours off to check it out. You won't be disapointed
Old 08-31-2011, 06:11 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tborisch
I can confirm this to be true.
Yes, Brad Smith has a set of engines. They are owned by the guy who bought out the Torque factory, Joe Kinser of Georgia.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Randy Nielsen
I would love to see a v12 in a boat, What this thread brings to my mind is that somewhere at some time most of these ideas probably came from someone sitting in their garage trying to figure out how to get more power out of what they have. An excellent example of this kind of thinking & doing is the Speedway museum in Lincoln,Ne. The founder of Speedway motors built a museum to house his collection of just about everything automotive & it will blow your mind. Everything from backyard home built blowers & turbos to indy car engines that made history. Admission is free but by appointment only, If anyone on OSO is cruising through the area I would highly urge you to make an appointment & take a couple of hours off to check it out. You won't be disapointed
I think it is nearing a new and maybe final phase in the gasoline internal combustion engine as we know it. There are new liquid to vapor fuel technologies coming, lean burn, throttle by wire, shift by wire, better Engine Management like power/displacement on demand cylinder activation and then the new electromagnetic valve operation. Yep, goodby to cams, pushrods, timing chains........

Better more efficient drives like the Ilmore Indy or Arnesons.

Its all adding up for a normally aspirated high durable, low maintenance cost marine engine. In my mind that means capacity and cylinders and the torque V12has both. Not high 300hr service intervals but 1,000's of hrs of service life with low interval maintenance.

I'm thinking about the HP525 V8 (about 65hp/cyl) or Ilmore V10 at 725Hp (about 72hp/cyl) with proven technologies and reliability at about 8L and translating that to 14L in the Torque V12 with even better life. 1,000 go any where HP (83 hp/cyl). And think about the 100hp/litre automotive engines, there is plenty of safety margin.

Its then about cost mangement, service and distribution and more time moving on the water.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:58 AM
Registered

joe is one cool dude we rigged his jag with the v12 back in 2000,he is fun to hang out with!!!!
Old 08-31-2011, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Callan and Stirling bought the contence in the torque building,I moved everything back to Michigan for them
Old 08-31-2011, 04:26 PM
Registered

Did sterling do anything with them? Seems like they may have rebuild a couple but cant remember any new ones coming out. I think they've since been resold. Someone converted them from gear driven accesories back to belts if memory serves me correct. I saw a pair at LCM and they looked like quite a neat piece.

I wonder with all the companies going under if their casting company used is still around to make the components.

Still think Ilmor should have bought the rights to these or the old dodge v10 patform and had their own engine from the ground up. The v12 would be an even better base with a bit of engineering refinement. Is this new guy doing anything with the company?

Last edited by fantastixvoyage; 08-31-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:58 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you're right about the gear-driven accessories they just couldn't make them work right or something so they switched to belts.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Catmando
I think you're right about the gear-driven accessories they just couldn't make them work right or something so they switched to belts.
Not the case. I purchased the 3rd set of Torques that where ever made and put 200 hrs on them. Mine had gear drive.
I later sold them to Joe as the boat was impossible to sell with those engines installed.
Engine where way to heavy in my opinion even though they where all aluminum.
If they had developed the engine into a high performance diesel they would perhaps still be in business.
Nice people to deal with.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by J Arruda
Not the case. I purchased the 3rd set of Torques that where ever made and put 200 hrs on them. Mine had gear drive.
I later sold them to Joe as the boat was impossible to sell with those engines installed.
Engine where way to heavy in my opinion even though they where all aluminum.
If they had developed the engine into a high performance diesel they would perhaps still be in business.
Nice people to deal with.
What drives were you running with those V12? Would a lighter drive have made a significant difference today?

Quick Reply: torque V12

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.