Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Does anyone work with fiberglass alot? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/65733-does-anyone-work-fiberglass-alot.html)

TEAMBAJA 12-08-2003 08:04 PM

Does anyone work with fiberglass alot?

Just wondering who works with fiberglass alot.

I need some tips or advice on dealing with avoiding the itch. Ways to prevent it, ways to get it off, and how to handle the laundry. I know this sounds crazy, but my arms and hands feel like they have the 7 yr itch right now! :drool:

THEJOKER 12-08-2003 08:12 PM

Wear long sleeves and they make a coverall type suit to wear. Wash in cold water not warm. I wear gloves but my employees refuse to and work the resin / glass with their bare hands. They are missing a few teeth though - haha - Get used to the itch , after a few years you'll forget it's there. BH

Steve 1 12-08-2003 09:01 PM

Use Baby Powder a lot of it on your arms and neck when grinding. Joker is right you get used to it.
if your wife handles your clothing have her wear gloves and keep your clothes separate from hers in the laundry.or Big Big Problemo..

Wear a spray suit and tape up gloves to suit when doing creative surgery.

Gel-coating full face mask.

Disposable gloves a must.

Watch your Eyes!! MEKP is a world class solvent for the cornea Catalyzed resin the eyes is Very bad also. anyone for a Acetone eyewash??

Grinding Carbon Fiber is always a treat even for the guys used to glass.

TEAMBAJA 12-08-2003 09:20 PM

Originally posted by THEJOKER
Wear long sleeves and they make a coverall type suit to wear. Wash in cold water not warm. I wear gloves but my employees refuse to and work the resin / glass with their bare hands. They are missing a few teeth though - haha - Get used to the itch , after a few years you'll forget it's there. BH
This is from cutting, grinding and drilling the glass. So now I just wait a few years? :eek:

Im gonna go roll around on the carpet now!:drool:

glassdave 12-08-2003 09:20 PM

yep . . like steve an BH said cover cover cover. i buy Tyvek jump suits off ebay and use alot of layers undernieth and talc. get the ones with the hood and socks. i use a full face respirator for heavy grinding and always disposable gloves. an yea . . you actually do get used to it after a while. :cool: :cool: :cool:

puder 12-08-2003 09:52 PM

i foudn that 2 pairs of gloves work well withet tyvek suits. YOu put teh first set on and tape the sleeves of eth suit over the gloves so theya re sealed. Then put anoter pair over teh first pair so if they get to funky you can change them quickly and not get resin on your wrists.

THEJOKER 12-08-2003 09:59 PM

Just about anybody can kick it off and roll it out , but the real men GRIND. Oh man in the beginning if I had known about grinding I would of never got in this mess - haha. BH

Roger 1 12-08-2003 10:07 PM

Hooded tyvek suits, rubber gloves and 2'' 3m masking tape around the cuffs. Don`t forget the respirator!

ragtop409 12-08-2003 10:45 PM

and after the fact STRONG STICKY ductape on the ARMS NECK and FOREHEAD hope you are not a HAIRY guy :D Rag's :D

Audiofn 12-08-2003 11:01 PM

Originally posted by Steve 1
Use Baby Powder a lot of it on your arms and neck when grinding. Joker is right you get used to it.
if your wife handles your clothing have her wear gloves and keep your clothes separate from hers in the laundry.or Big Big Problemo..

Wear a spray suit and tape up gloves to suit when doing creative surgery.

Gel-coating full face mask.

Disposable gloves a must.

Watch your Eyes!! MEKP is a world class solvent for the cornea Catalyzed resin the eyes is Very bad also. anyone for a Acetone eyewash??

Grinding Carbon Fiber is always a treat even for the guys used to glass.

The Baby powder works well for me, and you do get used to it.

If your women pisses you off the cloths go in with her underwear :D:D