Notices

Options Options

Old 12-18-2003, 02:42 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Options Options

Hi guys,
I'm interested in a couple of boats and would be interested in some feedback for the pros and cons of each.
For the money, I can afford either 1989 Formula 292 sr1 with stock 454's@330hp and bravo drives or 1989 Sonic 33ss with triple 225 outboards. Both boats are in about the same condition, mechanically good but needing some cosmetic work.

Both boats weigh about the same, have about the same power, and are the same age. The sonic has a bigger cockpit and cabin due to the outboards and its extra length. Both boats seem to handle the rough pretty well too. I like the sound of V8's, but I like the sound of outboards too, so it makes no odds to me.

Are there any convincing reasons to choose 1 over the other, I'm having a hard time choosing and if I don't get a move on they'll sell!!!
Many Thanks
Matt
Old 12-18-2003, 03:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on what you intend to use the boat for and where you will use it. Cockpit/cabin room are always a commodity, especially if you will be boating with more than 3-4 friends or family. Kids? The extra room of the Sonic might be nice, but I have always been partial to Formula. I don't think you could go wrong with a Formula if it is in good condition.

Other factors to consider:
Trailering/storage space
Fuel consumption of (3) outboards vs. (2) sterndrive
Service/dealer availability
Insurance

Can you get a seatrial under the circumstances in which you intend to use the boat?
Old 12-18-2003, 03:52 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks RedDog. The insured value of the boats is about the same, plus the sonic's probably slightly slower, so I would imagine insurance will be similar. I do all servicing & maintenance myself. Fuel comsumption is a good point. The outboards will be using about 1 gallon per mile cruising, not sure how much the V8's use. Kids are (hopefully!!!) not on the way for a while. But I don't want more space if the overall package is not so good. Both boats seem to have quite a good rep. Maybe I should change the question a bit to what are the best points of each rig?

Unfortunately I won't be able to get a seatrial of either boat in my local waters which is why I'm trying to be very careful in making the decision.

Last edited by MadMat; 12-18-2003 at 04:03 AM.
Old 12-18-2003, 04:08 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the price of rebuilding either power package. The day will come if you keep it long enough and an 89 model it may be soon.