Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   3 x 300 yamaha outboards (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/66585-3-x-300-yamaha-outboards.html)

Brad 12-19-2003 09:30 PM

What kind of consumption/mileage are you getting with the triple 300 Yamaha's?
Greeat looking boats!

HOUSTONPROP 12-19-2003 10:01 PM

Great looking Boat

consumption use.I would think its like a

BIG GULP!!!!! :D

each motor burns 29to 30 gallons of gas per hour at w.o.t. with 280 hp at the prop shaft.
rpm range is 4,500 to 5,500 these motors weigh in at 540 lbs eachx3

the merc 300x put's out 314 hp at the prop shaft.

WickedWon 12-20-2003 06:46 AM

No Contest !

1 Attachment(s)
Brad, the motors burn 26 gal. hr WOT, however the consumption drops dramatically at 85% of throttle, compared to my othe boat, I think I'm running for free:rolleyes: The Merc is definetly faster, but after spending 15 minutes around the Merc 300's at 6200 rpm I wanted AWAY FROM THEM, my other boat is very fast and a "good" loud. I hate the sound of OB's, the quieter the better, these things are really quiet, the sound they do make is unusually low. We're gonna eventually prop them for about 5000 -5200 rpm, the Mercs start making their real power at 6000 - 6800 thats a whole different animal with the wear characteristics to go with them. The Yams run on 87 octane (some areas where we boat 92 just ain't available) use less fuel and oil, cheaper props ( we explore with this one) and I can listen to the stereo at 55 mph, it was really an easy decision based on how I plan to use the boat, kind of a hot rod family truckster :D If I was rigging a Skater, it be Mercs.

JD

Found another pic.

WickedWon 12-20-2003 06:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
BTW that's not my trailer, MYCO was making some alterations to mine, this pic is at MYCO courtesy of Ryan Beckley who did my "stickers" :D

throttleup 12-20-2003 08:45 AM

t.rae,

It's all about finding the right balance; paneling ability, top speed, handling, etc. Usually when you get one you give up another. It depends on what YOU want out of the boat!!!!

You should have no problem getting on plane with a little higher pitch. My personal boat is a Sonic 33 SS with triple 225 EFI outboards, so I have played with the triple outboards a little myself. One advantage with the triple's is that I don't think there is anything you could do that wouldn't allow the boat to get on plane quickly as long as all three motors are running.

Vent holes in the props are another option, But; If you plan on going offshore in rough water you don't want the vent holes, especially with three blades. As far as getting on plane with two motors, try it with different props. Depending on the type of steering system you have you may be able to trim one motor out of the water so there is less drag. I would expect your top speed with just one motor to be about 55 mph.

As it turns out I will be propping out a new Concept 30 today with twin Yamaha 300's, I'll let you know what we discover.

Matt

t.rae 12-20-2003 09:00 AM

Matt,
Thanks for the info. I look foward on how the 300's you are doing turns out.
Good Luck
trae

throttleup 12-20-2003 09:12 AM

Mike,

We will be in the shop through Wednesday. We won't be in the shop Friday as we will be in Sarasota testing with Team Donzi.

Matt
877 842 6855
727 531 2255