Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   APBA membership--WTF???? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/66649-apba-membership-wtf.html)

gdfatha 12-18-2003 03:42 PM

APBA membership--WTF????

Hey, I'm just an innocent fan but here is what just happened...

1) I received an application for APBA Offshore membership.
-I thought it was for APBA as I had last year with priority toward OFFshore.

I Called ( St Pete, number on the renewal application) and requested a membership that will enable me to go into pits and take photos that I post free on the web.

They said NO..Too many people get into the pits. I Had even signed a waiver..

I sent in $ 100 and received a card (BLUE- that stated "CREW")

Then I got a letter and a registratioj form from APBA in Detroit...
I called them(today) and asked if my other NEW 2004 OFFSHORE card was coverd by them (Detroit) I was told NO!!!!!!! If I wanted a CREW INBOARD membership it would cost me another $75.00.....

AM I dumb or imagining things when I see boats like Flashwave/Vortec Extreme/Spiderman, etc..?? Damn I thought they were inboards...

Now I get to thinking.. Last year I also had a Hydro-Prop membership (Unlimited Hydroplanes) for additional $99.00 ..

SOOOOOO This year 2004 to get close to but not access to the wet pits, I, as a fan, and amatuer photographer who just loves the sport, and enjoys sharing my photos free of charge with OFFSHORE, Unlimited HYDROS, and INBOARDS or anyother fan has to shell out over $$$300???????

What's wrong here??

And then.. if I decide I want to do the same in the local OPC/Kneeldown wet pits I have to kiss ass to get a pass (wristband) to post free photos...

What's really funny , if you wish to call it that..When I called OFFSHORE about wetpit access and they told me NO...I said what if I was a member of Steve Miklos crewand would pay the added $75 above the $100????

Are you ready?? They said "He is just the competition Chairman" NO!!"

HELP!! HELP!!
:( :hothead: :hothead: :( :hothead:

outer42 12-18-2003 03:49 PM

there're trying to pay the depts they haven't yet and why did you pay already they don't even have a schedule yet.

CigDaze 12-18-2003 03:54 PM

First of all, whoever you talked to about Miklos needs a reality check, but that's an aside.

Anyway, if all you want to do is take pictures in the pits, you can do that for free...I've been doing it for years, most events are open to the public no charge.

Jana 12-18-2003 04:18 PM

I asked the Offshore people in Orange Beach when I renewed if the renewal was for APBA in general or just Offshore. They said APBA - same as last year. I paid the $100 and I too got the blue card and have never gotten anything from Detroit to renew with them. I know I'm not paying any more money for this, but I'd sure like to know exactly what the deal is.

gdfatha 12-18-2003 06:03 PM

Originally posted by Jana
I asked the Offshore people in Orange Beach when I renewed if the renewal was for APBA in general or just Offshore. They said APBA - same as last year. I paid the $100 and I too got the blue card and have never gotten anything from Detroit to renew with them. I know I'm not paying any more money for this, but I'd sure like to know exactly what the deal is.
=======

Jana...We worked in reverse...I paid Offshore but APBA still said that does not count toward APBA inboard.

Baja.. I have gotten to most DRY pits without charge but locked out (actually snuck in) at Daytona Wet pits but couldn't at St Pete.

Too Old-Thanks

Besides being pi$$$ed of being double pumped myself.. I posted this cause I remember someone (I think it was Wardey) who was sorta happy to pay his 2004 APBA fee. I just wonder what APBA?? And if everyone here was aware of the double standard>>>

GrinandBarrett 12-18-2003 07:17 PM

Ok what is different for 2004 is that APBA Detroit memberships and Offshore memberships are seperate this year. You can sign up for participating or racing memberships (for which you get full voting right in APBA) through Detroit for all categories except Offshore and Unlimited's. http://www.apba-racing.com/Members.php Goto bottom of the page to new memberships. I don't have the info on the other mmberships or what they include.

Matt

gdfatha 12-18-2003 07:41 PM

Originally posted by Grin&Barrett
Ok what is different for 2004 is that APBA Detroit memberships and Offshore memberships are seperate this year. You can sign up for participating or racing memberships (for which you get full voting right in APBA) through Detroit for all categories except Offshore and Unlimited's. http://www.apba-racing.com/Members.php Goto bottom of the page to new memberships. I don't have the info on the other mmberships or what they include.

Matt

=========================
Matt..
Since you have continually professed such inside knowledge of the OFFSHORE & APBA political arena please help all of us by making a matrix of what a member receives from each group,e.g., Since I paid the OFFSHORE what additional benefits if any would I receive by paying out another $75 to APBA??

I ask this for the following reason: I do not race, I'm not an official crew member I'm just a fan that has been purchasing memberships with the sole purpose of helping the sport.

Now I'm beginning to feel like I'm being screwed over. AND if I am, how many other members/potential members will undergo the same.???

I will continue to attend races, take and post my photos but you may convince me into not paying anything to anybody..

Someones (another OSO member) signature states "For the love of the sport"..That I do but not if it turns around and screws it's fans/supporters...

Thanks-Please make the table/matrix easy to read..

GrinandBarrett 12-18-2003 07:48 PM

Marc,

First tell me exactly what you paid, when and to who.
You can do it here or PM me or call 608-643-2774.

Matt

Jana 12-19-2003 07:11 AM

Actually, gdfatha, we did the exact same thing. I paid Offshore for a membership (got a card from them) and they tried to tell me that the $100 was also good for my APBA membership, just like it was last year.
So, Grin&Barrett, what does a fan get if they paid Offshore the $100? And how do we go about not losing our regular APBA (Detroit) memberships without shelling out a ton more money?

GrinandBarrett 12-19-2003 07:47 AM

Originally posted by Jana
Actually, gdfatha, we did the exact same thing. I paid Offshore for a membership (got a card from them) and they tried to tell me that the $100 was also good for my APBA membership, just like it was last year.
So, Grin&Barrett, what does a fan get if they paid Offshore the $100? And how do we go about not losing our regular APBA (Detroit) memberships without shelling out a ton more money?

Jana,

I'll do some checking today. Do you have a copy of your application? Can you fax me a copy? To get an APBA Participating membership, that get's you covered under APBA insurance umbrella, 1 year's subscription to propellor mag. & voting rights in APBA all for $55, that doesn't include a choice for the Offshore category anymore though. I haven't been able to read application criteria for Offshore yet because I had to reformat my computer and don't have Word anymore to read the .doc file yet. I will call them and have them fax me their application.

Matt