Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Don Aronow the man , myth , and legend >

Don Aronow the man , myth , and legend

Notices

Don Aronow the man , myth , and legend

Old 12-26-2003, 12:38 PM
magnum-bankshot

which boat. Saundra had a few. I remember the yellow mastercraft or Ski Nautique simply called the "Rhino". Kenny had a white magnum called the the "monster" before "Lil Rhino"

Old 12-26-2003, 12:41 PM
magnum-bankshot

Another Trivia Question... Dont answer this Rich... Why is the Bertram 49er named that if shes only 38' long?

Old 12-26-2003, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don in the Cary "Cigarette" This is certainly one of my favorite boat pics ever. Currently wallpaper at work.
BTW, I shrunk the pic a bit. If anyone wants a fullsize, just drop me an email...... use the one in my profile or [email protected]
Attached Thumbnails Don Aronow the man , myth , and legend-cigcaryaronow.jpg  

Last edited by McGary911; 12-26-2003 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe the "Bertram 49'er" was named after Dupont's "Kevlar 49", which is now known as just "Kevlar". This was one of the first Kevlar race boats.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:55 PM
magnum-bankshot

Robert gets the prize...

OK... who was Don's fav. Mechanic...hint, he later opened his own prop shop in Hollywood and is now deceased.

Old 12-26-2003, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Knocky House??
Old 12-26-2003, 01:39 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by THEJOKER
Never ever debate T2x in offshore trivia. There's just too much stuff in that guy's head! BH
Ah! Grasshopper...... you are beginning to see the light....

T2x
Old 12-26-2003, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by T2x
Ah! Grasshopper...... you are beginning to see the light....

T2x
T2x,
My point was not to debate you in offshore trivia, I will surley loose if I try. My only point was that Bertram did not pursue production of vee-bottom sport boats for the public. Nor did Glastron pursue the offshore sport boat market (to any real degree). And the point of that point...... Aronow's products dominated.

As for the other makers from across the pond, well, where are they? Where were they, ever, for that matter. A smattering of non-production race boats at best.

Don't get me wrong here T2x,,,,, I don't mean to ruffle feathers or question your historical facts. We were just debating the significance of Aronow's contributions to the sport.

I'll stop now before you belittle me into an embarrassing submission with your superior knowledge on this subject. My points are really just opinions of an Aronow fan.

You have the court big guy.
Dave
Old 12-26-2003, 02:13 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by ThirdBird
As for the other makers from across the pond, well, where are they? Where were they, ever, for that matter. A smattering of non-production race boats at best.

Basically Aronow manufactured a smattering of non production race boats himself...... The actual production of consumer hulls generally resulted after he sold the companies to someone else....... Formula , for instance, bears little resemblance to the company Aronow founded..... and sold...... almost on the same day.

Don't get me wrong here T2x,,,,, I don't mean to ruffle feathers or question your historical facts. We were just debating the significance of Aronow's contributions to the sport.
Me too............. He is basically worth about 10% of the credit he has received..... He is definitely one founder of modern offshore race hulls.... but only one of many. Most of the credit should really go to Ol' E.C. who pioneered the powerplants that made the whole performance boat market possible in the first place.

T2x.........
Old 12-26-2003, 02:38 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Whether Don designed the boats or not, he was still responible for starting the boat companies that we have today.

Of course there were others, but he was luck or should I say had enough money to make a name for himself. Ask anyone who knows little about speed boats and I am sure they will say; "Aren't those Cigarette Boats?" That's what I call branding.

There are a lot of others who deserve more credit. It happended to be an era that powerboating became more popular and he happened to be in a good spot. Good for him!

Just my opinion,

Panther

Quick Reply: Don Aronow the man , myth , and legend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.