Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Don Aronow the man , myth , and legend >

Don Aronow the man , myth , and legend

Notices

Don Aronow the man , myth , and legend

Old 12-30-2003, 09:58 AM
magnum-bankshot

Hull design is not about designing as much as it is about discovering what works best. This is why one can not patent a hull "design" or an aircraft's aerodynamics as a design for that matter... you ever look around an airport and wonder why all the commercial jetliners look the same, despite the fact that they are manufactured by at least a doz different manufactureres... because they have a basic aerodynamic design that works and that design worked before they ever thought of it, it just hadnt been discovered yet. The way air molecules react to a foreign body traveling through it, or water molecules for that mater...it has been in the universal design for billions of year......in the the public domain and once discovered free for anyone to use. Hull design is the same principal. By the way, dont ever talk to Harry Schoal about this because he still thinks you can patent a hull, and you may get a patent number..etc., but will it stand up in court. No, and this has been tested time and again.

Old 12-30-2003, 10:08 AM
magnum-bankshot

Too old,

i dont know if you do this or not, but if you ever go to EBAY and type in aronow, there is this guy who sells all kinds of old Donzi, cigarette, magnum ads. Its kind of interesting to see. And ist also interesting to see how many different companies used Don in thier ads

Old 12-30-2003, 03:41 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally posted by magnum-bankshot
I dont think anyone is calling Don a fraud. Not even close, nor are we debating his keen marketing ability, but this is a historical post and we history buffs like to hear the facts.

For example, how many atomic bombs did we drop on Japan at the end of the 2nd world war... most would say 2, but the truth is 3. Does that mean that one who would write that is being critical of the us... not at all. By the way, the third bomb was dropped shortly after the first two, once Japan surrendered. They ammassed thier ships in a cluster and we dropped a big one on them to distroy thier navy.

As far as designing boats, Don DID come up with the idea to cut the Cary 9-4 profile down to 8-6 which is what most cigarettes, apaches, warpathes, etc, etc are today. Don Designed that. Period! While he has been critisized for the USA 39, those who used the boat in patrol/ interdiction, myself included, think it's one of the best utility boats ever built. Her 12' beam made her a stable craft for boardings and she had just enough speed to get you where you had to go and not enough to keep the cowboys from hurting themselves.... Anyone who thinks you need speed to catch smugglers has been watching too much "Miami Vice". Smuggling boats...go-fast smuggling boats, unloaded, are some of the slowest in thier class.

The Customs product....this was designed to do exactly what it did, and designed by Don,,,as in his idea, his vision. There were no un-met expectaions on the part of the Customs service.

Anyone who thinks that I, Rich or John are being critical, think again. Don was a friend, and unlike many on this forum, I not only knew him, but sharred many meals with the man and found him to be a facinating individual with a keen sense of human understanding.
Thanks for clarifying! Very cool!!
Old 12-30-2003, 03:50 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by IDRPSTF
I think it is funny reading credit being taken away from Don for designs. He had designers working for him at many of his companies and paid them to do there jobs. Thus, the designs belong to the company and the company and credit for said designs belong to Don. Do we all think Enzo Ferrari is a fraud because Pinnin Farina did most of his design work? No! He was a leader who compiled a workforce, that formed a company, that made a moving work of art, that we call Ferrari. Much the same as Don had designers (Either as independents or employee's) who created what we know today as Magnum, Cigarette, Squadron, Apache, Etc. History recognizes the men that bring a product to the people. That is the name that is recognized. Tesla made the light bulb, not Edison, but did not market himself, Oops! Don may not have put pen to paper, but he paid for the ink and earned bragging rights.
T2x, I as a NFG to a dying sport who's heroes are long in the past and current runners are more willing to compare trust funds at the docks rather than battle with balls in the water (Go ahead boys, start bashing me) respect the racers of the past and that includes there faults. Don was a self promoter... Thats great, I have more respect for him now than ever. The fact that he was confident enough to hire Crouse to build a larger than life image shows verve. He wanted to lead the pack with a big name, and command presence. That is commendable of an industry leader. And when you own as many companies as Don did, you are a leader. Your opinions have been less than inspiring but have not been taken as insulting. You lived in an era and area that most of us did not and are shedding a bit of reality on our Mythical character. But truth be told, I still think the guy did great things (Building companies and self promotion) and, the stories he left behind are worth telling, accurate or not!
Thank you for your opinions and reflections.
Point taken.......... That's why they make Ice Cream in more than one flavor....... not everyone likes Vanilla.

Happy New Year...... and

Rest in Peace Don Aronow... on that we all agree.

T2x
Old 12-30-2003, 04:38 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I appreciate the mark he made on the Offshore Powerboating World. Rest in Peace Don Aronow.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Magnum Bank Shot. Who are you? You are certainly a fountain of misinformation. Aronow built the 35' plug, and let it sit for two years before he produced it. It was not part of the wider hull. The standard Cary/Cigarette bottom ran out of stability at about 81 mph. The 35 (which is the mother of most of the hi-perf stuff today) had "Knuckle" chines, which ran parallel to the keel for over 10 feet, instead of ascending after 3 feet. Just thought you might want to know.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As always I have to look up to T2x. (Brownie and GJL as well). Having been around this sport for some time I consider and honor and priveledge to call T2x a friend. So many enter this sport and becuase they have a fast boat they think they know all there is to know. Or because they heard some guys around the local HP shop talk about racing they think they are encyclopedia's on the history of the sport. Fact is as a general rule most people don't like the truth. Whether it is about themselves or someone or something they look up to. What I admire about guys like T2x so much, is their absolute candor. I was always taught that is the way to be, because like it or not the truth is the truth. Thank you T2x, Brownie and others for always calling it how you see it whether or not the is the popular thing to do. There are still those of us who admire and appreciate blunt honesty.

Shane
Old 01-05-2004, 02:17 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Originally posted by Shane
.... I was always taught that is the way to be, because like it or not the truth is the truth. ...
Shane
and opinions are opinions
Old 01-23-2006, 08:50 PM
Registered

Default Re: Don Aronow the man , myth , and legend

the shear blade was a 54 foot concord, and the roamer was called the lil" whopper
Old 01-23-2006, 08:53 PM
Registered

Default Re: Don Aronow the man , myth , and legend

it was a 28 foot mirage, one of the first i believe and the only boat powered by roush racing

Quick Reply: Don Aronow the man , myth , and legend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.