Notices

Tire suggestions?

Old 12-25-2003, 11:17 PM
Registered

Location: I knew I shouldn't have made that left turn in Albuquerque...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tire suggestions?

Ok OSO brethren, I figure here's as good a place to get an answer as any... My tow vehicle is an '01 Expedition XLT 4x4, and it currently has 16" Goodyear Wrangler ATX tires, which are OE from the dealer. However, I've noticed that even under normal (non towing) driving that the vehicle has a tendency to "sway" when passing larger vehicles, or when exposed to sudden gust from the side. This gets GREATLY exaggerated when towing, and it's a safety concern for me. I've noticed that the sidewalls are "soft" at 40psi, and the rims have a lot of travel room from side to side when simply pushing on the vehicle by hand. Short of "low profile" rims and tires, has anyone else here had this problem, and if so, what tires were they replaced with?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 12-26-2003, 12:23 AM
Registered

I have a 01 F350. When passing big rigs my truck does get pushed out . When its real windy I think any suv or truck is going to get pushed around a little. Your tire pressure seems a little low to me . I'm not sure what the max psi on your tires are but 40 seems low.
Old 12-26-2003, 08:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Had an 2000 Expedition with the 17" ATX tires. They quickly went out of round but it was leased so I didn't change them. It bucked front to back when towing but sideways seemed all right. I got an 03 with the IRS and it tows much better although it squats down a bit further. It has stock 17 Continentals on it.

A guy at work has a 99 Eddie Bauer (16 or 17 ?) who did extensive research and ended up with the Pirelli's and he loves them. I suppose it depends on how much "allseason" tread you want.

You could go to the next load range up to get rid of side wall flex but it would ride like a stone.

Try calling the folks the Tire Rack and see if they have any suggestions
Old 12-27-2003, 05:22 PM
Registered

I'm towing a 25' Warlock World Class which weighs in @ 4950 lbs, 5700 w/trailer. I have the class IV towing package which allows me to pull 12k lbs, so I don't really think that's the problem. Troutly, thought about the alignment, so I had it checked after the 1st hair-raising "wiggle session" last year. It tracks true. Max tire pressure is 44 psi on these tires, and they're currently @ that pressure. However, they are the R/TX tires, not the A/TX tires, and they are 4 ply sidewalls. Goodyear recommends these for non-offroad applications.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:09 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by Troutly
It is obviously more unstable in the turns than the Crown Vic I had before...
You mean you MN Statees don't get Porsches???
Old 12-27-2003, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RedWarlock: If you get a second, Give me a call at work!! I'm in the Tire Business and I use to Tow my 32 with a Exp. 1-800-231-2295 ext 129 If you can beat my price thats Great, no problem!! I'll keep your Local Honest anyway!!!

Fountainclimber:::
I dont know anybody at Tire Rack that supports OSO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's all I'm say'in
Old 12-27-2003, 10:45 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I had Goodyears on my Tahoe. The whole truck towed wishy-washy. When I went to airbags, and eventually BFG All Terrain KO tires, it REALLY cleaned up the towing sway and white knuckles.

On my current 3/4 Ton Avalanche, I have Cooper Discoverer ATs, and they are every bit as good a tire as the BFGs, with a quieter ride, and about 25% cheaper.

See this thread for my entire decision process:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ht=truck+tires

Last edited by Sydwayz; 12-28-2003 at 12:01 AM.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:01 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

You are absolutely correct MrO!
Old 12-28-2003, 12:50 AM
Registered

Thumbs up Thanx guys!

The info is greatly appreciated! Sydwayz, thanks fot the link! It was helpful. I'm also thinking about a sway bar to help eliminate some wheel flex as well. I'm gonna contact a 4WD specialty shop and see what they recommend as well. I'll keep ya posted!

Thanks guys!
Old 12-28-2003, 01:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Goodyear truck tires usually last pretty well. Too well, in my opinion. I know that they offer a comparable product these days, but back in the late 80's every Goodyear truck tire I ever owned cupped and got loud. Always kept my trucks lined up too.

Went to Michelins, BFG's, and Bridgestones. I probably won't ever buy another Goodyear truck tire, unless I end up choosing some odd wheel size combo and they are the only game in town to fit it (not likely).

Just my personal experience.

Quick Reply: Tire suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.