Buying help needed... Interior fiberglass cracks >

Buying help needed... Interior fiberglass cracks

Notices

Buying help needed... Interior fiberglass cracks

Old 12-23-2003, 12:53 PM
andyw

Default Buying help needed... Interior fiberglass cracks

Hi Everyone,

I am looking at buying a 1996 Powerquest 340 viper w/ twin 502s.

I am new to the real powerboating world, as I've only owned a few 20-22' outboard speedboats.

Overall the boat is in pretty good condition, but I have a few concerns that I was hoping you could give me your opinions on:

1) Where the helm meets the fiberglass wall that divides the cockpit from the cuddy, there is a 2-3" crack that is around 1/16" or barely larger that follows the seam of the helm and the fiberglass wall. After the 2-3", the crack just stops. Is this something to be worried about? If so, how hard is it to fix?

2) There is a crack on the molded unit that houses the refrigerator, microwave, and sink. The crack is about 1-2" to the right of the cutout for the refrigerator. The crack starts about 2" below the refrigerator and runs parrellel to the cutout for the refrigerator to about 2" above the refrigerator. The total height of the crack is around 1-2 feet. The crack is only about 1/32 - 1/16" wide. It looks like someone may have tried to patch this and it came back. Is this one something to be worried about? If it is, how hard would this be to fix?

3) Lastly, there is a sharp angle (probably about 90 degrees) on the driver's side of the floor where the cockpit floor starts to meet the corner of the door going downstairs. This crack is also about 1/32" - 1/16" wide and is about 3-4" long. Is this crack something the be concerned about? If so, how hard would it be to fix?

I looked over the outside hull of the boat and the top peice of the bow, and I didn't notice any cracking on the exterior. I also didn't notice any cracking on the transom. All of the cracks above that I've noticed are on the inside of the boat in the cockpit or cuddy.

Finally, I would really appreciate any other advice for checking out the rest of the boat, hull, motors, etc.

Thanks!
Andy

Old 12-23-2003, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Andy,
Not sure of this specifics to how/what/if fixing what you mentioned, but def. pay someone to survey that thing, professionally.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:08 PM
Registered

Hey Andy,
A boat that size I would probably get surveyed. It's a small price to pay for peace of mind. Most of those guys really know what to look for. Just my 2 cents...
Old 12-23-2003, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Survey, Survey, Survey!!!!
With special attention to the cracks!!!
Survey, Survey, Survey!!!!

They are probably only stress cracks but you can never be to careful!!
Old 12-23-2003, 02:01 PM
Registered

i think fun has it.. stress cracks.. but a good survey is only like 400-500usd for the boat...i'd spend it.. motors and hull
Old 12-23-2003, 02:37 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Do a search in the Powerquest Forum;

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...?s=&forumid=49

I know the 38's have had some cracking in the sliding door area. I would say if you can see fiber glass and the split is open it would indicate some hard running. If it is just in the Gel coat these could be concidered normal.