Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I think we can all agree, there is nothing cooler than a Lionel train.... >

I think we can all agree, there is nothing cooler than a Lionel train....

Notices

I think we can all agree, there is nothing cooler than a Lionel train....

Old 12-24-2003, 01:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think we can all agree, there is nothing cooler than a Lionel train....

.......circling the old Christmas tree!

A while back, I came into possession of a old Lionel box set, circa 1973 or so, from a friend of mine. Not one of their greatest sets - plastic engine, plastic couplers, no whistle - but a Lionel nonetheless. Spent 4 hours or so tonight getting it cleaned up and running and I'm happy to report the smoke still works

Can't wait to see my 2 year old daughter's face when the Christmas Express comes around the tree!
Old 12-24-2003, 01:26 AM
Registered

Very cool..........I have a Lionel too! Great fun and basically started my on my electronics field!!! I got an erector set on the same Xmas and found out what AC and DC power was all about!
Old 12-24-2003, 01:30 AM
Registered

When I was a kid, we had a old *real* Lionel - all metal, the damn thing must've weighed 5 lbs. Loved that old train, complete with the whistle in the tender. It's still in the family, unfortunately, my chances of snagging it are slim and none.

Think I might have to start checking e-bay for a replacemnt. Cheaper than a boat, anyhow...
Old 12-24-2003, 05:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's awesome! I have a few sets myself here. You made me want to get em all out now and see if they run.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:09 AM
Registered

Cap071, if you should decide you need to do a little house cleaning, let me know - I've been on e-bay all morning, maybe we can make a deal....
Old 12-24-2003, 07:26 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike you the DAD!!!! I was going to put mine up for my daughter also but got behind and ran out of time....Next year for sure. Best wishes to you and yours in this Holiday season!!and I hope you get a 357 Formula in your stocking!!!
Don
Old 12-24-2003, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still have almost all of mine from my youth. Worth a lot more now than when they were purchased.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:38 AM
Registered

Don, thanks for the kind words - I imagine you've been a busy Santa's helper yourself! Tirzah and I were up till 2:00 last night wrapping and I was messing with the train... we looked around at this mess of boxes and packages and said "good thing we're not going big on Christmas this year" - yeah right!

Merry Christmas to you guys - give the baby a kiss from us.... (and I asked Santa for a new Donzi 38ZR with staggered 575s, but I ain't holdin' my breath! )
Old 12-24-2003, 07:51 AM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I inhereted a Lionel set from my father when I was a child. Not much of a set, engine, coal car, passenger car, caboose, and about 20' of track. But what a cool train! He still has it, and unless I have a child in the next 20 years, he will probably insist he is burried with it!!! He won't give it to my nephew because that kid is the most destructive little guy you have ever seen!
Old 12-24-2003, 07:55 AM
DJD
Registered

I had a great set when I was little. My Dad made a table with two sheets of plywood painted to look like the countryside with bridges & tunnels.
I had alot of fun with that train set but I hear that I destroyed each piece one by one over time & they were thrown out.
DAMN!

Quick Reply: I think we can all agree, there is nothing cooler than a Lionel train....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.