Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I think we can all agree, there is nothing cooler than a Lionel train.... >

I think we can all agree, there is nothing cooler than a Lionel train....

Notices

I think we can all agree, there is nothing cooler than a Lionel train....

Old 12-24-2003, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Niel Young is a model train freak and owns the Lionel train company, apparently saved it from going under.......I was watching a Leafs game at L.A. a couple of years ago on tv and Niel was at the game and they said the only way he would sign an autograph was if you brought a Lionel train......
Old 12-24-2003, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that we were all a little rough on our toys when we were little. Thats how we learn to take care of things. I guess that is why the ''survivors'' are worth so much now. Does anyone remember the ''pink'' Lionel train sets for girls? I remember seeing them in the Sears Christmas catalog, AKA ''The wish book'' and thinking that they were hidious.
Merry Christmas.
Roger
Old 12-24-2003, 08:50 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by dockrocker
When I was a kid, we had a old *real* Lionel - all metal, the damn thing must've weighed 5 lbs. Loved that old train, complete with the whistle in the tender. It's still in the family, unfortunately, my chances of snagging it are slim and none.

Think I might have to start checking e-bay for a replacemnt. Cheaper than a boat, anyhow...
You oviously have not seen the price of these things lately We had a awsome set unfortunatly I knew nothing of the value and a lot of it is no good any more I used to like waiting tell my brother was lieing over the track and running it full steam into him Those all metal ones can carry one hell of a wollup I have a large HO scale set down in my parents basement with some cool stuff but NOTHING is as cool as the Lionell H-Z scale.

Jon
Old 12-24-2003, 09:00 AM
Registered

My dad got me one for Christmas when I was just shy of two years old. Have the home movies of it. It was a great set, that giant old transformer with two handles, locomotive that smoked, whistled, and weight a ton. Had about 18 cars with it. It was a wicked cool set. In a moment of complete stupidity, I agreed to let my stepfather send it to his newphew in Arizona, TEMPORARILY, to use in some kind of science project. Six months later my step dad died, and I lost the train. I'm still pissed off, and if I ever can find out the kids name, I'm still looking, I'm going to Arizona and get it back. Today that would be worth 25 K at least.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

I've got a bunch of Lionel 027 scale stuff from the 50's. The reversing smoking locomotive with the coal car that houses a huge whistle section. I've got the little maintenance cart that shots sparks and changes directions whenit hits something. Illuminated track changing switches, the flashing bar thing that comes down at the plastic car crossing when the train comes by. The quarry set with the dump cars and bridge unloader. A bridge, a decoupler, a gravel chute loader, some newer engines, a bunch of cars, the Navy missile launcher car.

Lots of cool train stuff. Havent set any of it up in years. When I finish my attic room I will have a train area in it.

I did loan out my transformer and it came back shot.

Anybody got any idea on what modern transformers are good or not? I need one that has a reversing interrupter, and an overvoltage whistle mode...

I also have the large (G ?) scale Thomas tank engine set.

Trains are cool.

The old stuff has truly appreciated in value. The engine I used to launch off of a speed ramp (built up with track over encyclopedias) into a pile of HotWheels cars is now worth $750 even with a bunch of diecast parts knocked off it...
Old 12-24-2003, 09:35 AM
Registered

Most of the original Standard Gauge aka Tin Plate trains are still be manufactured by a company called Mikes Train House. http://www.mth-railking.com/ After the depression Tin Plate was downsized to 0/27 scale which is the size of current Linoel trains. Trains are very addictive allot like boating. Like Audio I have a basement full of HO trains. They are a lot of fun. This is a pictures of my wife's layout. It is MTH reproduction Tin Plate. Made the exact same way as the old stuff except it's manufactured over in China.
Attached Thumbnails I think we can all agree, there is nothing cooler than a Lionel train....-standard-gauge-oso.jpg  
Old 12-24-2003, 09:35 AM
Registered

Attached Thumbnails I think we can all agree, there is nothing cooler than a Lionel train....-sgoso.jpg  
Old 12-24-2003, 09:42 AM
Registered

Mcollinstn,
MTH would be a good source for a Transformer. This one has 400 Watts (1) 14v 3amp fixed output, (1) 10v 3amp fixed output, (2) 180watt track outputs .
Dan
Attached Thumbnails I think we can all agree, there is nothing cooler than a Lionel train....-40-4000.jpg  
Old 12-24-2003, 09:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

cool.
thanks
Old 12-24-2003, 10:03 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Little Trick. With the old transformers you open them up and remove the graphite wheel. Replace it with a brass one I think it was and you will get a LOT smother speed control.

Candyman that set looks cool!!!

Jon

Quick Reply: I think we can all agree, there is nothing cooler than a Lionel train....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.