Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   UNIFICATION vs FRAGMENTATION (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/67097-unification-vs-fragmentation.html)

KiloKat 12-24-2003 10:33 AM

UNIFICATION vs FRAGMENTATION

It truly amazes me when I read most of the press releases and many of the posts that are being made on different internet forums pertaining to our sport of Offshore Racing.

Surely everyone involved in high performance boating knows that this sport is in one hell of a mess and I’m quite certain that others on the outside must have some interesting thoughts about all of us involved. What is the problem? Why can’t we all come together and unify instead of continuing down the destructive path of fragmentation?

It seems pretty simple to me. We already had too many sanctioning bodies with two - APBA Offshore (APBA) and Super Boat, International (SBI). How can we ever grow as a sport without coming together in one sanctioning body and racing within it’s parameters? Last year, we saw what appeared to be a genuine effort by the racers to unite and work together to improve rules, safety items and venues. Then, the next thing you know, everything blows up. I’m sure there are valid reasons in the minds of the people involved for what was done, but in my opinion, forming yet another sanctioning body isn’t the way to resolve these issues. Can any one of you imagine being President/CEO of a major corporation considering getting involved as a sponsor in Offshore Racing?

What I propose and what I am committed to working for is one sanctioning body that truly represents our sport and not any one team, one class or one group of investors. Can you imagine that? Now, put yourself back into the seat of a President/CEO of a major corporation. There is one sanctioning body with one solid schedule, one set of rules, and some very talented and professional teams working diligently through a democratic process to constantly improve this sport. Doesn’t this scenario make it easier for the same President/CEO to go to his/her Board of Directors and ask for money to raise the awareness level of his/her company’s products by becoming an active sponsor in Offshore Racing? Whether the corporation’s sponsorship money goes to an individual team or towards prize money might be another consideration, but the bottom line is it would help to improve our sport!

Well, I think we are closer than we have been in years to seeing this become a reality. First, we need to have each of the two sanctioning bodies realize they need what the other has. In the case of APBA, I think they could use the solid race venues that SBI has established. In the case of SBI, I think they could use the solid infrastructure that APBA has established. In both cases, the directors of each are going to have to become a little more flexible and sincere with negotiations. They really do need each other to grow, so why not admit it and come together in the best interest of the sport? I have spoken to the parties involved and I’m of the opinion they can work this out if they try. I am going to continue talking with them in an attempt to move them closer to unity.

But, unification will need the support and assistance from everyone involved. Therefore, I encourage each of us to put our personal goals aside long enough to let the officials at both APBA and SBI know that we want this and we will support them uniting as one. Then, we will need to make a genuine commitment to ourselves and to the sport to support them. I would also ask that we direct our comments towards each other and our sport in a positive manner. Remember, even though we may not agree with each other all of the time, we have a common interest and need to work together for the benefit of all. At the same time, all of us can encourage potential sponsors to assist us in this endeavor. I’m sure it would be difficult at first, but if we are relentless in this endeavor and sincerely devote our efforts into this constructive direction, I’m absolutely positive that our sport and everyone involved would benefit in the future.

Roger 1 12-24-2003 10:41 AM

This would be nice but the big question is how to eliminate the ''ego'' factor from the equation.
I think that a lot of the problems come from the inflated egos within the sanctioning bodies.

Shane 12-24-2003 10:47 AM

Kilokat,

I applaud your position and dedication to seeing it happen. As with many things in life, it often takes "hitting rock bottom" before forward and upward progress can be made. The MAY in fact be the turning point in Offshore Racing. I certainly hope it is and wish you and the various entities much success. If I may be of any help please do not hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to help in any way I can.

Shane

DanB 12-24-2003 11:20 AM

An excellant formula for sucess!! All it needs is REAL LEADERSHIP!!!! You need to talk to Steve David.

Dan

Mike A. 12-24-2003 11:26 AM

Gentlemen:

David is right.

Roger, while I certainly can understand you belief that egos are what keeps us apart, I do not think that is entirely fair. There are perceptions and misperceptions on both sides as well as fundamental, legitimate differences in business philosophy that have kept a deal from happening.

But as time has gone by I think the relative strengths of both organizations have come more into focus and now as David points out there are some terrific synergies between the two groups.

The other important point here is that now there are mutual friends on both sides of many of the issues who are talking to the principals. Communication is better than ever.

From my personal standpoint, John Carbonell is the reason why we have a sport today. He brought offshore inshore and that is the single biggest factor in the sport's growth as a legitimate motorsports entertainment property. He also emphasized television more than anyone before him and if you read anything on Bernie Ecklestone or Bill France they have always maintained that TV is key.

Our sport has been plauged for so long because of all the in-fighting and competition between the three and now two organizations. With the start up of this third deal I think people are simply waking up to the fact that we will never make it as a sport if we do not get together.

So bottomline is that I am for it and will work with David and the many others who want unification to push APBA Offshore in that direction.

Everyone stay positive and perhaps we can make some good things happen.

Mike

Gordo 12-24-2003 11:27 AM

Why Steve David?
Sounds like the major players are already in place...
Mike Allweiss
David Scott
John Carbonell

This is gettin good....

PhantomChaos 12-24-2003 11:37 AM

What about the West Coast?

bajabob38 12-24-2003 11:45 AM

Originally posted by PhantomChaos
What about the West Coast?

come on nort, We all know who runs the west coast. The D-MAN :p

LOBSTERBOY 12-24-2003 01:09 PM

I am in total agreement with unification !! It only make's sense in every way !! Think of all expenses that will be basically cut in half ! More excitement for the fans !and so on and so forth ,i can't see anything negative here !?! Well god knows i have been doing my share to bring together all party's involved and will continue to do so till this happens !! Now with that being said , i hope Santa makes my wish come true ! I have been a good boy , mostly , this year ! Happy holiday every one and let's make 2004 the best year of offshore EVER !!! Marc Lafleur

KiloKat 12-24-2003 01:16 PM

Mark - I think the keyword in your post was "mostly". ttt
Best regards and Happy Holidays!