Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   TRAGIC Christmas Morning (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/67165-tragic-christmas-morning.html)

Shane 12-25-2003 11:34 AM

TRAGIC Christmas Morning

As some of you know I am Lieutenant of my local Volunteer Fire Dept. We were toned out at 5:30 this morning for a structure fire. When we arrived on scene we found a house fully involved. We began attacking the fire from several angles. As we (a group of 4 of us) entered the rear of the structure we found a vicitm who died of a shot gun blast to the head. We were then toned out to another structure fire 3 blocks away. As we already had all personnel from our department and 3 other departments the call was dispatched to another nearby department who called mutual aid to several other fire company's. Upon attacking the fire in teh second residence 4 more bodies were found, vicitms of shot gun wounds as well. Apparently, the boyfriend of the lady we found killed her, set the house ablaze and then went to her families residence, killed them, set their house ablaze and then shot himself.:hothead: :hothead:

We no sooner were back in station that we were called to an odor of natural gas. Upon arrival, myself and two others entered the residence to find it filled with natural gas. The residents were luckily on vacation in Florida and not home. We ventelated the residence and the local power company took over from there.

Back to the station we go and clean the trucks and equipment. Get everything back in service and head home. Take a shower and begin to open presents. ANOTHER FIRE! This one one in an oven. Easily extinguished with a Fire Extinguisher. FINALLY just got a chance to sit down now at 12:30. Nearly 7 hours of fire fighting today.

I hope you all have a happy and SAFE HOLIDAY SEASON! And remember, no matter how frustrated we may all get at our "problems", keep in mind how FORTUNATE we all are to have the luxuries of the toys we do to even have these problems. There are many people out their that would give anything to have the problems we do.

Merry Christmas.

jb 12-25-2003 11:39 AM

wow...full day and its not half over...
Thanks to folks like you, who go out on a day like today or anyday...for us....your a good man

Shane 12-25-2003 11:44 AM

Originally posted by jb
wow...full day and its not half over...
Thanks to folks like you, who go out on a day like today or anyday...for us....your a good man

Thanks jb. It is our pleasure. When the "tones go out" (that's what we call it when our pagers go off and summon our response) you forget all about what day it is or time of day or night. Someone is in trouble and needs help. That's what we train for. There are several OSO members that are full-time firefighters and they do much more than us as they LIVE at the station several days per week.

Jolley 12-25-2003 11:45 AM

WOW..... Have a good Christmas for the rest of the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!................

Phantom1 12-25-2003 11:57 AM

Thanks for all you and your fellow firefighters do.

True heroes-

TEAMBAJA 12-25-2003 12:28 PM

Unbelievable! I hope your phone doesnt ring the rest of the day! :(

tripps 12-25-2003 12:37 PM

Are you sure your name isn't Santa instead of Shane???? God bless you,Happy holidays Tripps

CAP071 12-25-2003 12:46 PM

Volunteer Fire Dept You have balls Of steel to do that job ! MUCHO respect to You

My buddy is a fireman here in Phila That is one Job I could Never do GOD BLESS You and your crew

VelocityMark 12-25-2003 01:05 PM

Shane I am on duty at the fire station today, and Thank God we have not had the runs that you guys have had. I hope our day is slow, and the rest of yours is also have a Merry Christmas.:D

throttleup 12-25-2003 01:26 PM

Shane, Gordo, Troutly and Rollwithit,

PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL! We love you guys just as you stand and breath!

Julie