Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Jim Wynne (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/67251-jim-wynne.html)

cobra860 12-27-2003 10:30 AM

Jim Wynne

1 Attachment(s)
Jim Wynne.
After a quick search here on oso.
there has not been any tread here about Jim Wynne.
He and Charlie Strang
was after what I have read the inventers of the sterndrive. (correct me if I am wrong)

Jim had a alot to do with several of the boats Don Aronow built. And other boat manufactures. In my opinion this is really one of the heros we all should respect. If there is a man who had a big influense on powerboating we see today it must be him

Just think of a world without the sterndrive.??

There must be a lot of stories about this guy, that several of others osoèrs has not heard.
So to all on oso that knew him give us a story.

Kjetil
Norway

cobra860 12-27-2003 10:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is was I found on Volvo Penta site.

Jim Wynne, inventor of Volvo Penta’s aquamatic drive, is the most influential person in the motor boat industry, according to a ranking in the highly regarded British boat magazine Motor Boat & Yachting.
Thanks to a series of revolutionary technical solutions, Volvo Penta has a world-renowned reputation as one of the most innovative companies in the marine industry.

These innovations include the aquamatic drive, which was launched in 1959, and the counter-rotating duo-prop drive from the 1980s.
Volvo Penta’s position is confirmed by the British Motor Boat & Yachting magazine, which in its May issue has ranked the most influential people in motor boating in the 20th Century.
The list is topped by Jim Wynne, the man behind Volvo Penta’s aquamatic drive.
According to the magazine, the “Aquamatic drive is the 20th Century’s single most important development in small-craft technology, which made the mass production of cheap, fast, inboard sportsboats possible."

formula31 12-27-2003 10:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
He designed the hull on my boat. Its a 1988 10 ft beam cruiser that does 60 stock. Cruisers Rogue 2800.

cobra860 12-27-2003 11:12 AM

He Did cross the atlantic ocean in a 22 footer coronet with twin 50hp evinrudes.

heres the story.

To convince customers that fiberglass was a solid material, Botved came up with the idear, to cross the atlantic in one of his boats. A 22 foot explorer were chosen fore the trip. It was mounted with twin Johnson 50hp engines, which enabled the boat for at top speed of 26 knots. Along on the ride was Jim Wynne, an experienced raceboat driver. The trip was made possible, as they saild along with a merchant ship the whole way. The merchant ship carryed all the fuel for the trip, and served as a safe haven in case of to rough weather. The trip was experiencing rough weather almost all the way with swells reaching hights of up to 30 feet, in the storms the coronet was lifted abord the merchant ship, and the lowerd into the ocean when weather allowed it. It took in all 11 days to complete the 3600 nautical mile journey, and even thoug many people would not reconice the journey, it was used as a theme in Coronets marketing strategy for many years to come. Even Jim Wynne Was humoristic about it, and named some of his later raceboats Yo- Yo.