Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I think I was the victum of discrimination... What would you do ? >

I think I was the victum of discrimination... What would you do ?

Notices

I think I was the victum of discrimination... What would you do ?

Old 12-29-2003, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I was the victum of discrimination... What would you do ?

I am pretty upset about this and just want some opinions. My wife, female cousin and myself walked into a Walgreens liquor store in Marathon (Fla Keys) last night. The moment we walked in the door the manager stated " You ALL better have id's" in a not so friendly voice. I turned around and said "yeah sure" and went about hunting for my Bacardi bottle. Several times we were asked "can I help you look for something ?" which in and of itself is not bad but the tone was just not right. My cousin told me that in Tallahassee, everyone in your party gets carded when you buy liquor. I had never heard of that but I told her and my wife to go to the car since the manager seemed to have an attitude towards us. (Mind you, I am 30 yrs old, my wife is 28 and cousin is 27.) I picked the liquor out and waited in line. As I am used to, two people in front of me, that looked younger than me by far, did not get carded. She seemed awfully nice to them. Since I was warned, I had my ID in hand along with my credit card. When it was my turn to pay, the attitude started. "I cannot sell you the bottle without the ids of both the women that were with you. " I have never had that problem, what if I would have walked in here with someone that was not 21 that just happened to be with us ? I can't buy liquor then? I've been buying liquor now (legally) for over 9 years. NEVER had this problem. She stated that it was store policy to card everyone in the party. Someone else was being charged for his liquor, behind me, and did not get carded. I was getting mad but remained calm. I told her to please hold the liquor in the front counter while I went to my dads house to get the girl's ids. She said "Fine, but I will be here till 11 PM and we will NOT sell you anything without the two girl's IDs." We went home and came back with all IDs. There was another lady at the counter. I presented the IDs and she said " Oh, you are the ones " . They had obviously been talking amongst themselves when we left. This lady was just as rude. I asked for the store manager's name and number and she gave it to me with a smirk on her face. They are probably buddies and nothing will happen if I complain. Bottom line is that there are a few locals in the keys that have this anti latin sentiment probably because of the influx of migrants into the keys over the past few years. 99.9 % of them are cool as can be, but that .1% are just racist as can be. What gets me is that my wife, myself and cousin were actually born here and speak perfect english. I would hate to see someone walk in there that spoke broken english. Although it may not seem obvious in my writing, if you have ever been discriminated against, you know how it feels. They were simply using the so called "policy", if there even is one, as a tool against people they do not like. Should I even bother complaining ?

Last edited by frequentflyer; 12-29-2003 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:55 AM
Steve_H

phuckem , take your business where its appreciated.

if it was me ide at least write a letter to wallgreen headquarters.

Old 12-29-2003, 10:56 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too late, you should have taken care of the problem then, call the police???????, walked out and went to another store or just go with their policies. Tough call.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:56 AM
Registered

Screw 'em!!

The best way to get back at them is to NEVER buy anything from them again and make sure to spread the word to others. I would call the manager and tell them about your experience and that you will never shop there again and advise others of the same.

If the manager is worth a chit they will do everything possible to rectify the situation. Maybe even a free bottle of liquor
Old 12-29-2003, 11:19 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,709 Likes on 3,785 Posts

Some of the locals have very bad attitude's, yet most are very friendly and helpful.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:26 AM
Registered

Do what I do. Go to www.hoovers.com and locate the name of the COO and the address and phone number of the headquaters. Then call the COO and tell him exactly what happened and that you thought that he should be aware of the fact that you feel that you were treated with disrespect and in a racist manner. Explain that you only want to make him aware of the situation and that you are not seeking anything. I can just about garuntee you that it will be taken care of very quickly. After the call follow up with a letter. I have done this in the past with companies that I have had problems with. Once the C level management is made aware they will make changes to make sure the business in not lost. It's all about the bottom line.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:34 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Like lotoparty said

I walked out of Best Buys two weeks ago. asked numerous times for assistance. Knew what I wanted ...just wanted to buy this Zenith 32" flat screen.

After 20 minutes of watching 3 a holes playing with computer terminal , I walked over again and told them I'm leaving now and going across the street to Circuit City and buy one.
Phuckem
I don't care if it cost me twice as much somewhere else.
So I wound up with a 36"r
Old 12-29-2003, 11:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

I went to my friend's Lincoln dealership to find out some info for my Grandmother a few years back (going on fifteen years, actually). I figured a brochure would give her the info she needed, so I just popped in after a day of welding on some projects we were late on at my shop. I was a little overdue for a haircut and was in my "welding" clothes (old jeans and a dirty button down shirt, really nasty old converse shoes). I pulled up at the side of the building cause they had some customers testdriving and walking around some cars in the front and my friend had told me before to please not pull my hotshot cars in where he was trying to sell stuff (I was in a 2 month old 560SEC Benz). I walked into the dealership and went to the brochure rack. All the salesmen looked my way when I walked in and then turned away and went back to their group conversation. I got the brochures I was after and looked thru them and saw that I had a question on a partiular option package. I walked up to the salesmen and they were circled up likea huddle, drinking coffee. I didn't want to interrupt the conversation so I waited for a good time to break in. After a minute or so it was obvious that I was NOT going to get any attention, so I said "excuse me, but I have some questions".

Two wouldn't even look at me, but one loked at me like I was a turd. He said that their used car lot was a mile down the street. I told him I had questions about an option package on a particular Tracer (what my granny thought she wanted). There was silence as he just continued to look at me. He finally asked if they had the brochure I needed and I said, yes. He immediately turned around and rejoined the conversation.

I walked into my friend's office and left him a note to call me. I then drove off.

The next day my friend called and I told him what had happened. He laughed and asked me what day I could come back by in the same clothes. I told him 'today" as I was still back there playing catch up with the welder. He told me to come by at 4.

At 4 I drove up to the front door (the 560SEC was black with polished wheels and was CLEAN and looking righteous). All the salesmen turned and looked as I got out. I walked into the dealership and my friend met me at the door pumping my hand in an exaggerated fashion. He introduced me to the group of salesmen and told them that this was indeed an exciting day. He told them that I was purchasing the dealership from his family. I smiled at all (in my welding clothes, but not as sweaty as the day before). I told them all that I was currently planning to keep the core team in place, but that I had experienced something the day before that let me know that there would need to be a bit of individual personnel changes- and I looked directly at the salesmen who had snubbed me the day before. Some were clueless, but most of them were a sickening shade of purple.

My friend and I then went into his office for a laugh. After I left, he told them all that I was NOT buying the dealership but that they all needed to reasses their behavior around anybody who walked into the store...

It's a shame that appearances are so important in this society, but it is the single biggest factor no how you are treated.

I feel sad for those who are "visibly" afflicted (be it skin color, height, weight, clothing, physical disability, etc). They are immediately at a disadvantage.

Then again, humans don't have much of a sense of smell or ESP so sight is our primary method of "categorizing" people we meet. Only later can their personalities or mannerisms be factored in.

ST31 has the plan. Go to the top with specifics about your encounter. Request a reply from them to let you know that they have received it. Then, let the system do its thing.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:05 PM
Registered

I would have lugged 10 cases up to the counter and w and let the b@#$h's put them all back when shee insisted on all ID's
Old 12-29-2003, 12:07 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

happens to the wife all the time she's 1/2 Philipino and gets alot of crap here too.....alot of spanish people in the area and alot of discimination!!!

Quick Reply: I think I was the victum of discrimination... What would you do ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.